Chapter 2

Chapter 2
May 14, 2023

I stare out the windshield as I drive back home. Dawson had fallen back to sleep after we went to get ice cream. We had spent our whole day out, first, we went to get ice cream then the park. Dawson had a great time, I'm glad he is a happy kid.

But I was dreading to go back home, I knew when I got home, Braxton would yell at me. He's going to say how I'm a horrible wife for not liking his friends, or how I took our child. He always yells I'm scared he might do something else.

I pull into the driveway of our large home, there were only the cars we own in the drive way. We're alone, all alone. I park the car and go to Dawson's side of the car. I open the door and pick him up, I carry him into the house quietly. I close the door cautiously, so the door wouldn't squeak, thank god it didn't. I walk up our long stairs and up to his room. I put different clothes on him and take his shoes off, I place him in his bed. I give him a kiss on the forehead and leave his room.

I wasn't tired, I wanted food. I go down to the kitchen and open the refrigerator. I took out some Arizona and some pickles. Yes, I'm weird, so sue me.

I sit at the island that's in the middle of the kitchen. My back was towards the entrance, thinking that Braxton had gone to bed or was working. My thoughts were proven wrong when I felt a hand at my waist. The large hand turned me 180 degrees, I was faced with my husband.

"I talked to my friends, they say they have never made fun of Dawson. I don't care if you are his mother, do not feed my kid lies. What a horrible mother" he snapped at me. I felt my heart sink, knowing that he believes that I lie to my son.

The worst thing was, he said I was a horrible mother. My heart stopped, he hates me. I want my real husband back.

"I would never lie to our son. He was the one who told me that they make fun of him. They don't like us here, they think we are burdens on you. It's sad that you can't see that. Your own son is telling you the issue and you won't face it." I tell him.

"And I am not a horrible mother, at least I try to be with him. I try my best to keep him happy. Why do you hate me so much? I'm your wife, and I love you. Now you can't even stand me. I want things to go back to normal" I continue. I look him square in the eye and leave the kitchen.

As I creep up the stairs, Braxton catches me by the arm. He pushed me up again the wall. "I don't give a fuck if you don't like the way I'm acting. You're my wife, deal with it. Things have changed, we aren't the same people. In my eyes, I don't even want to describe what kind of mother you are." His face was so close to mine, I could smell the alcohol on his breath. I hate it when he drinks, Braxton ends up cursing at me and starts insulting me. Then, next day, it's like nothing happened.

I move my body away from him and continue going upstairs. I walk to our room and laid on the bed. I close my eyes and hope he didn't mean what he said. I just know things have changed

*

In the morning I hear laughter from downstairs. I blink a couple of times so my eyes could get used to the light. Then I go towards the sound of the laughter. It was coming from the living room. Braxton and Dawson were playing on the Wii, having a good time. I give them a small smile, even though they aren't looking in my direction.

I move my body weight to one side of my body as I lean up against the doorway. The floor creaked from under me, causing them to look straight at me. They both had sly grins on their faces. I look at Braxton with a blank face, remember what he said to me.

"What a horrible mother" keeps replaying in my head. I send them a fake smile back and go to the kitchen to get something to drink.

"Mommy!" I see Braxton carrying Grey into the kitchen.

"We made breakfast" he assured me, pointing to a plate on the table. "So you wouldn't have to"

"Thank you" I mumbled, heading towards the table. I sit down and start eating my food, which was eggs, bacon with some toast. I hear Grey's little footsteps come towards me, most likely wanting my food.

"Mommy, Daddy is leaving today." He told me.

"What? What do you mean, Daw?"

"Talk with Daddy" and with that, he ran back to the living room. I finish my food and head upstairs to speak with Braxton.

Once I enter the room I see him packing a bag. "Where are you going, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I'm going to Italy for some business for the gang. I will be gone for a couple of days." He informed me

"Why did I have to find out from our son?"

"I told him earlier. I was going to tell you after you finished breakfast." He stopped packing and looked at me. I nodded my head and looked down.

"I hope you have fun" I gave him a fake but hopefully a realistic looking smile.

"It's for business, not pleasure." He zipped up the bag and picked it up. He got close to me and set the luggage on the floor. "It's only for a couple of days, not even. You better not miss me too much" he smiled at me.

I don't understand why he is so smiley today. He's being nice to me. My mind is only thinking of the worst possibilities.

"We need to talk about last night," I told him.

"Okay, what about it?" He asked, crossing his large arms over his hard chest.

"You said some horrible things to me, again." His expression didn't change, not at all.

"Such as?"

"You told me I was a horrible mother and a liar."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." He apologized, but I knew he didn't mean it. That's not enough though, not even close, I thought.

"Okay," I said softly, pushing my thoughts away. I felt his hands grab my hands, he lifted them up into the air. Braxton put his finger under my chin, so I would have to look at him. I studied his handsome face. His bright blue eyes, his full lips. It looks like he hasn't shaved in a while, he had some stubbles on his face.

"Are you staring?" He joked.

"Are you having an affair?" I blurted out. Whoops.

"Why would you think that?" He asked

"You are being nice to me. You are happy. You're not getting anything from me, so you must be getting it from somewhere else-" he cut me off by putting one finger on my lip.

"I'm not having an affair. We have been together for 8 years, and I have never cheated on you. Why would I start now? I'm just in a good mood today" he explained.

He checks his watch and gasped at the time. "Okay I have to go, we will discuss this later." He said and ran out the room.

I can hear him saying goodbye to Dawson, then I heard the front door open and close.

You aren't worth his time, a voice said in my head. You are a burden!

I pushed the hurtful thoughts away and walk down the stairs so Dawson wouldn't be alone. I saw him playing on the couch as he watched Mickey Mouse. I sat next to him and stretched my arms.

A few hours later

Grey and I had decided to have a marathon of funny movies while his dad was gone. Dawson and I were laughing at the tv when I heard the doorbell ring Dawson quickly pauses the movie, while I rush to the door. I swing open the door and see someone I didn't expect.

"Matthew?"