Chapter 28

Chapter 28
March 18, 2024

I stepped out of Braxton's rental car as he parked in front of my brother's house. I heard the driver's door open and close, my eyes glance over in that direction. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Coming inside," he said in a duh tone. I sigh, knowing that this visit will not end well. I walked up to the front door with my heels in my hand, my feet were killing me. It's about 2 in the afternoon. After my little rendezvous with Braxton, we drank coffee and discussed our problems. He assured me that he was going to therapy for rehab, he even called the therapist to prove it.

I'm still on the rocks about the whole situation and told him I would think about it. He's always had issues with drinking and drugs occasionally, I don't think a few visits would make it go away.

I turned the door knob and stepped into the house. I heard voices in the dining room, I set my heels down and go in that direction. My brother, Florence and the boys were sitting around the table eating lunch. "Mommy!" Dawson hopped off his chair and ran towards me. "I missed you," he said as his arms wrapped around my legs.

"I missed you too, Grey," I replied, picking him up and setting him on my hip. I felt an arm wrap around my hip, then a pair of lips near my ear.

"Can I see Tyler?" He asked. I looked into his eyes and nodded.

"No!" Dawson yelled out, throwing his fists, in an attempt to hit Braxton. I grabbed his hands with my free one.

"Dawson calm down. Daddy's not going to do anything." I assured him. But he shook his head and yelled again.

"No! He will! Dad no good!" I stared at him in shock. My son started to cry and squirm out of my grip. Braxton was already out of the room and with Tyler. I keep Dawson close to me, in an attempt to calm him down. His heart beat was so fast, I knew it wasn't healthy. I stroked his hair and whisper positive things to him.

After 5 minutes Braxton walked out of the room where Tyler was sleeping. He stared at Dawson in his panicking state and tried to come near him, but that only made him worse. Dawson kicked and screamed more when his father came close. "Grey please stop!" I don't understand why he's being this way. I was about to tell Braxton to leave until he spoke first.

"May I speak to you?" Braxton asked. I held Dawson tight as I passed him to Xavier. I showed Braxton to the front door because clearly, his visit wasn't the best. "I had a great time last night." He smiled, revealing his dimples as he gave me a soft kiss on the lips. I grinned at the thought. "I did too," I replied.

"Can we talk tomorrow? I'm going to be in town for a couple of days." My husband asked. I nodded. "I'm sorry that my presence scared Dawson, I don't want him to be scared of me."

"I don't know why he's being this way. He was fine before." I lied. I knew why he was like this. Dawson has seen some pretty messed up things the pasted year. But it seems like the last time Braxton left him alone, that sent him over the edge. Braxton nodded his head and gave me another passionate kiss before exiting the house. I watched as he got into his car and drove away.

Once he was out of view, Dawson came running in with tears streaming down his face. He looked so terrified and worried. I picked him up and walked back to the living room. "Mommy dad's bad..." he whispered to me. I didn't say anything to him because some things were bad about my husband.

"It will be okay..."

-A few hours later-

I heard the doorbell ring and rushed to it, with my son in my arms. I open the door to find Ashton. I smiled and hugged him. "Hey Jade,"

"Hey, Ash." I replied and opened the door wider for him to enter. "If you don't mind me asking, how did you know I was here?"

"Your husband is very overprotective and wanted me to be around you every now and then. So I'm the watch dog," he chuckled. I shook my head because that was definitely something that Braxton would do.

"Well since you're here, come meet my brother." I guided him to the backyard where Xavier was, playing with Dawson. Both of them had a large smile on their face.

"Xavier! I would like you to meet a good friend of mine, Ashton." Xavier stood up and walked over to Ashton and shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Ashton. I didn't know my sister had friends." He laughed. I hit him with my free hand on the arm. He howled as he walked away from and back to Dawson.

My son waved at Ashton with a goofy smile on his face. "I was about to make dinner, would you like to stay?" I asked.

"It would be my pleasure." I nodded my head and went back to the kitchen.

"Could you watch Tyler while I cook?" He nodded his head and grabbed him.

"He looks just like you," Ashton commented. I looked over at him as he examined Tyler's gorgeous hazel eyes. Ash ran his hand over my son's head, ruffling his very short thin hair.

-An hour later-

I placed everyone's plate in front of them and carefully placed the food on it. Until I heard my phone ring, I finished giving everyone their food before rushing to the phone. "Hello?" I answered.

"Is this Mrs. Jade Russo?" The woman asked.

"This is she. Who is this?" I asked.

"This is the Denville hospital. Your husband, Braxton Russo, was in a car accident. It seems that your husband was drunk driving and hit a tree. There were 2 other people in the car and only have minor injuries. Ma'am your husband did not make it. I'm very sorry." The woman explained. I stood there frozen. I wanted to laugh, thinking it's some stupid joke.

"Mrs.?" The lady said. I pulled the phone away from my face slowly, still in the state of shock. My finger grazed the button to end the call. My body shrunk down to the door, and my eyes began to produce tears. I couldn't contain my emotions anymore. My loud sobs filled the house.

I heard 2 people walk in my direction. "Jade? What happened? Are you okay?" I shook my head. The tears continued running down my face.

"Braxton- is- dead." My voice cracked as I talked through my cries. I banged my hands on the floor, making a loud thud.

"He's gone." I cried. Dawson came running in, probably wondering what the commotion was. I quickly grabbed him and sobbed into his shirt. "Mommy?" He mumbled into my ear as he stroked my hair. I laid on the floor with him as I continued to have my mental break down.

My kids were the only people I had left, that would ever remind me of Braxton.

I just wanted this pain to go away