Chapter 14

Chapter 14
May 28, 2023
Part 1

"Should I give him another chance?" I asked Ashton, playing with the hem of my shirt.

"I would say no if you didn't have Dawson, but you do. And he wanted to stay here for a reason, so yes." He answered.

"He has hurt me a lot though, he's unpredictable at times. I don't know what to do anymore." I grumbled, planting my face in my hands.

"He was making an effort before from what you told me, what happened?"

"I don't know, after Dawson cursed at him he changed. When I got to the car, Braxton was very angry at Dawson. I asked what happened but I got no answer back."

"Hmmm..." Ashton hummed. He looked at his watch and stood up. "I would love to say, but it's getting late." He opened his arms wide. I stood up and hugged him gently. Ashton showed himself out as I cleaned up our dishes.

Braxton was gone all day, at the moment it was around midnight.

I heard a scream from upstairs, I was startled and dropped the plate I was washing. I ran upstairs to Dawson's room to find him crying in his sleep. He was tossing and turning, but he was still asleep. "No! I'm not! I hate you, daddy!" He screamed. His loud voice scared me. I have never heard Dawson yell like that. And he was yelling about Braxton, that made it more strange.

I searched his room quickly, trying to find his teddy bear. Dawson would always carry it around the when Braxton wasn't home, thinking of his dad when he hugged the bear. When I found it, rushed to Dawson. I put it in his arms, he grabbed it and held it. His nightmare must have gone away because he was relaxed and quiet. My finger grazed the hair that lay on his forehead.

I sat next to his bed for a few minutes until I heard the front door open and close. I left the room and stalked to the stairs. Braxton was home and was heading to the living room. I followed him.

"What did you say to Dawson the day of the quinceanera? When you guys were in the car. What did you say?" I blurted out. He stopped in his tracks and turned around slowly.

"Why would you want to know? It's the past."

I ignored what he said and continued, "did you yell at him? Say he was a mistake or something? I want to know."

He didn't say anything. Braxton just looked down. "Did you say he was a mistake?" I asked again. He kept his head down and didn't answer.

"Why would you say that? He's a little boy. He just had a nightmare about you! He was screaming at you to stop. He said he hated you." When I finished I saw his head shoot up. He stared at me, his beautiful eyes getting lost in mine.

"I was angry, I know I wasn't thinking. When he said he hated me, I went off on him." He said.

"Are you taking your medicine? Because I don't think you are." He shook his head. "You promised me you would," I reminded him.

"I know. I'm sorry,"

"You always say you are sorry, don't say it if you don't mean it," I stated.

"But I am sorry, I'm just a screw-up." He admitted.

"I want the man I married. The one that used to send me black roses for nothing. The one who stared at me when I wasn't looking. But clearly, I won't be getting him back."