Chapter 37

Chapter 37
September 20, 2024

I leaned against my car as I waited for Dawson to come out the school. It was the end of the day and school just ended. Dawson's teacher opens the door and the kids walk to their parents. Dawson was accompanied by a boy his size with jet black hair and pale skin. His face was filled with small freckles. "Mommy I want you to meet my friend, Nash!"

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." Nash said and stuck his small hand out for me to shake. It sounded as if he had a heavy accent, possibly a southern accent. I bent down a little bit and shook his hand.

"It's very nice to meet you, Nash-" I was cut off. "Jade!" Dawson's teacher called out to me. She waved me over from where she stood, a yard away from us. I walk over but keep an eye on the boys. "I have a favor to ask."

"What is it?"

"I need you to take the young boy, Nash Williams home if you could. He is your neighbor, a few houses down." She said.

I gave her a confused look, "may I ask why? Are his parents not able to?"

"His father is out of the picture and his mother is a bit of a mess, in and out of jail for drugs. Don't worry the school knows but she always seems to get her son back. Yet it seems she is not able to pick him up today, she's not answering the phone."

"Would she mind if I did? I mean I don't know her and she does not know me. I wouldn't want her to be angry at the school for sending her son home with a stranger." I said.

She shook her head, "honey, honestly I don't think she would even remember. I trust you and Dawson are very good friends with him. They are inseparable. Dawson seems to be protective of his new friend. Nash is very nice boy, he wouldn't be any trouble"

"It wouldn't be a problem. I'm just worried about the mother. I will just speak to her when I see her if I do." I assured her. She handed me a paper with phone number,

"Just if there's any problems." With that, she walked away and back into the school. I went back to the boys and settled them into the car. Throughout the car ride, the boys were making little jokes and giggling amongst themselves.

"Nash, which house is yours?" I asked, looking around the neighborhood.

"The little black one" he answered. I looked around and there was only one house with that description. There were some houses in the neighborhood that were smaller than ours or even bigger. This particular house seemed to stand out more. I pulled into the small driveway. I did not feel comfortable leaving this boy here, alone. I unbuckled my seatbelt and helped him out of the car. I walked up to the front door with him and knocked on the door. The old faded paint was peeling off the house and the door.

There was no answer at the door. "Is your mom home, Nash?"

"She's never home." He answered blankly.

I stared down at him, not knowing what to say. "Let me make a phone call, you can go back into the car with Dawson if you would like." Nash shook his head and skipped back to the car. I pulled my phone out and called Mrs. Burrows. After few rings, she answered.

"Jade, is everything okay?" She asked.

"His mother isn't here. What should I do? I don't want to leave him here alone." I told her.

She let out a sigh, "I have tried to call his mother after you left. She is still not answering. I'm going to check with the police just in case she got arrested."

"What should I do about Nash? Take him home with me?"

"Honey if you could that would be amazing. I'm telling you, the boy is very quiet and polite. A little angel. If you don't want that I can figure something else out." She offered.

"No, that's okay. He is a nice boy. Dawson can have someone to hang out with for a little while. Call me back if you find out any information about his mother." I answered her and ran my hand through my hair.

"Will do, darling." She hung up the phone. I walked back to the car and climbed in.

"Nash, would you like to hang out at our house for a little while?" I asked him softly. He nodded his head very quickly with a wide smile. I drove back home and walked the boys inside the house. Nash stared at the house in amazement.

"Pretty home!" He smiled at Dawson.

"Are you guys hungry? I can make you whatever you like," I pointed to the kitchen that was down the hallway. The young boys nodded and ran down to the kitchen in a hurry. I took out various items for them to eat, nothing too unhealthy but they were still delicious. Dawson always enjoyed any fruits he could find but he still despised vegetables.

Nash placed his juice box and fruit snack in front of him in a neat fashion. Very organized boy. "Nash, where are you from?" I asked. He took a sip of juice before answering me,

"Texas"

"I have always wanted to go to Texas, it seems very beautiful there.-" I was cut off by Shane as he walked into the room with Tyler in his arms. The view in front of me made me smile. His eyes wandered over to Nash through his glasses that I loved so much.

"Hello" he gave me an unsure look, unaware of who the boy was.

"This is Dawson's friend, Nash. He's going to be hanging out here for a little while."

"It's nice to meet you, Nash. I'm Shane." They shook hands quickly before the kids ran into the living room to play. Shane placed Tyler in the high chair before stalking over to me. "Do I want to ask?"

"Nash's mother was unable to pick him up today at school. No one could watch him. Mrs. Burrows asked me to take him home, I did but no one was home. I felt very uncomfortable leaving him there alone so now he's here. He's a nice boy, I'm honestly not worried about him doing something bad." I explained to him. He was very quiet until I finished my explanation then he nodded his head.

"How long is he staying?"

"I'm not sure. Mrs. Burrows will call me when she finds out anything about his mother."

"Okay," Shane slipped his arms around my waist before lifting me onto the counter. His lips grazed my cheeks slightly then pressed them completely onto my cheek. I have not kissed Shane yet. We have been together for a bit but it exactly dating. He understands I want to go slow but not this slow.

Sometimes I just stare at his lips for the longest time, wanting to kiss him. No, begging to kiss him. If he's talking about something he is passionate about, his eyes light up and his emotions run high. I can stare at him forever as he rambles on about a random topic. If I doze off get staring at him, his cheeks become bright red then says "what?" Completely clueless of what he's doing to me. He's just not the normal kind of guy that I would go for yet I feel more than attracted to him.

More than half the time I try to push away the feelings. My heart says do whatever but my head says it's too fast. I just keep my thoughts to myself even if they are eating me alive.

He was my medicine for the time being.