Chapter 5

Chapter 5
May 16, 2023

I pull up to the driveway of a house that is owned by my best friend, Florence. She has been my best friend since 3rd grade. She might be a little crazy but it's in a good way.

I had called her prior to arriving at her house. Before driving here, Dawson and I went to the park and a little dinner downtown. We had to kill some time before going to Florence's.

I park the car and get Dawson from the back. My legs take me to the front door. I ring the door bell and wait. Once I hear her footsteps I turn around, the door creaks open. "Jade! You idiot, turn around" she laughed.

"I will if you promise not to say anything, let me explain first. Promise me" I say to her.

"I promise." Once I hear the words leave her mouth, I spin around. She gasps at the large bruise on my face. She opens the door wider so I can walk in.

"Aunt Flo!" Dawson giggles and thrashes in my arms. I set him down and he runs go Florence. She picks him up and kisses the top of his head.

"Hey, Buddy! I have missed you" she says to him. He giggles and wraps his little arms around her. "Hey, Dawson, why don't you go to the living room. I need to talk to your mom." With out hesitation, he runs down the hallway.

"What the fuck happened to your face!" She whisper-yells. I look down at the floor, not knowing what to say to her. "Braxton?" I kept quiet.

"I'm going to stab a bitch" she stomped to the kitchen, knowing I would follow her. She actually picked up a knife from the counter. I race over to her, grabbing the knife from her hand.

"Calm down! I told you not to say anything" I told her.

"Well when I see my best friend with a freakishly huge bruise on her face, I get angry! What do you expect?" She asked, flailing her arms.

"I don't know, I will explain what happened," I tell her the whole story with Matt coming over, and how Braxton found out.

"Matt has always been my favorite" she states.

"Florence!" I yell out. Her face breaks out in a smile.

"He has always been a nice guy. It sucks he left though." She grumbles.

"That's my point, he left. I wasn't going to wait around for him, I moved on. Now I love Braxton."

No, you don't, the evil voice said.

"How can you love a guy who hurts you? Both physically and mentally." She questions.

You deserved it.

I'm calling you Dexter, you evil fucking thing, I thought.

No, call me bones, more badass.

You don't get a vote- my thoughts were cut off by Florence snapping her fingers in my face.

"I truly don't know. He's never done this before. I just said I wanted a divorce, then he snapped. I'm so lost" I confessed, getting back on topic.

"You can stay here for as long as you want. And plus we can have girls night" she smirked. Her type of girls' night is clubbing, which I truly didn't mind. I never really got to party when I was young since I got married and had Dawson.

"I'm scared for Dawson, he shouldn't have to witness this. I feel bad, maybe I am a horrible mother." I frown at my own confession.

Yes, you are truly a terrible mother and human, Bones said.