Chapter 21

It had been exactly 2 weeks, 6 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 45 seconds now since I had kissed Jayden on Valentine’s Day. And to say I was feeling rotten would be the understatement of the year. Jayden had done everything he could to avoid me. If he saw me coming, he’d turn and hightail it out of there. When I tried to catch his eye, he’d always turn away. Even in English class, the one class we had together, I tried talking to him, but he just ignored me as if he couldn’t hear a word I was saying.

I tried once again, and looked at the table he was sitting at with his friends, only there was another brunette sitting there now, laughing with the rest of them. For a second, I let myself be jealous and imagined her burning at a stake before I blinked and my very vivid vision vanished. I turned back to my own table and slumped down in my seat, and just stared at my lap, wringing my hands together.

‘’Riley?’’ Kat asked. I looked up and gave her a confused look when she shot me an incredulous glare.

‘’Hmm?’’

‘’You have to get out of this slump of yours, honey,’’ she sighed, leaning her head on my shoulder and wrapped her right arm around my slim waist. She chuckled but it was void of humor. ‘’You haven’t even touched your milkshake. I think it’s the first time I’ve ever seen you not completely drain your milkshakes.’’

‘’I don’t feel like it, Kat,’’ I grumbled. ‘’Actually you know what, I need some air.’’

I stood up abruptly, causing a few eyes to stray in my direction but I ignored them, sending Kat a small, barely there, smile. ‘’Riles, do you-‘’

‘’I’m fine,’’ I told her as confidently as I could, straightening my shoulders. ‘’I’ll catch you later.’’

And with that, I walked out, my 2 inch heels click clacking as I made it out to the courtyard. Our school had this huge courtyard connected to the cafeteria which was a great place to hang out when the sun was shining down but today had been cloudy and there was a cool breeze in the air so most had opted to staying indoors.

I pulled down the sleeves of my shirt, from where I’d rolled them to my elbows, and grabbed the ends in a fist before stepping out, hugging myself. I felt a shiver wrack my body as I stepped out and felt a breeze whoosh past my face. I took slow and cautious steps around the yard, making my way to the big oak tree at the end. It had huge branches with it being the spring season, full of beautiful green leaves, which if you sat under, almost shielded you from the outside.

I just stood with my back to the trunk, closing my eyes, and hugged myself tighter.

Usually being around my friends – moreover my best friend – tended to help me through a lot of tough times but I lately I couldn’t even do that. Why? Because being around Kat and Sam and seeing them act all lovey-dovey and shit was annoying the hell out of me. Yes, after that party at Amanda’s place, Kat and Sam had finally gotten together.

I felt happy for them, I really did, but it just got a little creepy to hear them finish each other’s sentences, feed each other food and always be touching. I could hardly go up to them and say ‘Since my relationship is currently non-existent at the moment, can you please refrain from going out with each other. Please, for my selfish reasons?’

Of course, there was only so much a girl could take so I tried to keep away most of the time. I think Kat understood that, she wasn’t stupid. So she just refrained from talking too much about what he had done and how much she loved him in front of me.

I sighed. I was distancing my best friend too.

I gave up on clearing my thoughts. It clearly wasn’t helping clear things any bit. Pushing myself off of the tree, I walked back to the hallways. I kicked an imaginary stone in my way, chuckling as I imagined it hitting something. Pathetic, I know.