18. The Queen's Bodyguard

Beginne am Anfang

Once Levine noticed Historia, he straightened his body and saluted out of courtesy which surprised the young ruler, but she kept quiet about it. Pixis nodded at Levine and the young soldier lowered his fist. The Garrison leader took a little closer look at Levine and gave a hoarse chuckle.

"You really do look like Captain Levi. I expect big from you, Cadet Ackerman," he said as Levine's fingers twitch and wiggled, a mannerism he developed to secretly get away with his annoyance, with the help of Yami.

"Please, Commander Pixis. Do not compare me with Levi. I vowed to surpass him," he told him which earned an amused chuckle from the older soldier. He nodded and turns to Historia.

"This soldier is a fine guard for you, Your Highness. I wish you to be safe always," he said slightly bowing and the blonde queen nodded and thanked him before entering the carriage, which Levine opened the door for him. He bid goodbye to Dot Pixis before entering the carriage too and let the person outside bring them to wherever they will go.

They sat one both far ends and looking outside each windows as silence envelopes them. Historia remembered how much anger Levine showed her when he knew about what she did in the announcement in the underground. She felt guilty about revealing his location to his enemies in that place.

"You know I hate that place," Levine finally broke the silence by saying those words, "So why ask me to escort you?"

"I-I'm not the one who wanted that. Commander Erwin picked you and I can't argue with him!"

"Tch, the high status queen, cannot argue with someone who works for her. Pity, don't you think?" Levine said with a monotone voice. There it goes. That tone that says he doesn't care anymore. Whenever she talks with the others, they say great things about him. Sure there were negatives, but this is just too much.

"What...What is your problem with me? I tried really hard to make you understand that I can also be your friend like Eren, Mikasa and the others. I tried hard making you see that even though I am a royal blood, I am also a human being who cares for others and not just for myself, rich and fame! I am not like that, Ymir!" Historia widened her eyes as Levine turned to her with an emotionless look, but he was quite surprise himself.

She put her hands over her mouth and looked away, looking sad. It made Levine a bit curious and odder by the petite girl's outburst. And who the heck is Ymir.

'Ymir? The Norse Giant?' Levine thought, which Yami laughed about.

"That's a myth, Levine. And look at the poor girl. You put on so much pressure on her. At least, try being sensitive at times," Yami said, staring at Historia. Levine took a simple side glance, but did not said a word until they arrived to their destination.

Levine first exited then Historia who still look down about earlier. A heavy feeling suddenly fell on Levine which he cannot explain.

"That feeling...is called guilt. Good to feel them sometimes," Yami told Levine as he jumped down from the carriage's roof.

"Tch, shut up..." He whispered so that Historia won't hear him. He saw the entrance to the underground and he slightly became frozen.

"The underground...Never thought of going back down there," he said to no one in particular and outstretched a hand towards Historia who looked at it oddly, "I am doing this for my job, so don't get the idea that I started to...be fond of you."

"Alright," she took his hand, and Levine put his hood on and guided the young queen into the living graveyard of the wall. At first, it was total darkness, and then soon, they saw a light.

The walked closer into it and when they finally arrived, two MPs greeted them and let the pass though. Levine pulled down his hood even more. He remembered these two. These are one of the fourth squad out of five that always chases him. He remembered that their name are Ivan and Giovanni.

"Welcome to the underground, you’re Highness," Historia smiled at them, but Levine tugged her arm and they continued on the walk.

"No distractions. As soon as we're done. As soon as I could get back to the Survey Corps," Levine said and walked away, avoiding the menacing glare from Ivan and Giovanni. He let go of her hand and started walking through the lifeless pathway.

Historia saw the lifelessness of the people. Yeah, they are alive, but some are at the verge of death. Some even make-outs in public. Talk about Public Display of Affection. And there are children who plays with nails like they are just like plastic toys.

"Stay close and don't trust anybody. Even kids here are known to be criminals. Watch out for pickpocketing brats. They're common," Levine said a few more tips in a hush voice as he lead Historia to the heart of the underground, where the political rulers of this place stays.

When they finally arrived, three bearded men who looks much more healthy and lively greeted them.

"Welcome, Your Highness," they said in unison and bowed. Historia curtsied and Levine saluted, but only received a disgusted glare from the three.

"You! You're the one who stole breads from my stalls!" One with a big belly said, pointing an accusive finger on Levine. At first, Levine was tempted to comment about mistaking him for a shrunken and clothed titan, but Yami took the glory, wherein he internally smirked at.

"Yes! And you stole from my vegetables!"

"And even from my fabric stalls!" The other two exclaimed, but Levine just look at them, straight in the eye with his knowing cold hard glare. They coward and were about to call the MPs to arrest him, but Historia shielded Levine with her arms spreaded wide.

"As your queen! I order you to stop! He is here as a soldier and my escort not a criminal you think he is. He changed and no need for arresting!" Historia said with a stern face. Levine was quite amaze, he admit.

"B-But, Your Hi--"

"Enough! Let's just please discuss the matter," they did not retorted and obeyed her bidding and lead them to the meeting room.

"Amaze now, Levine?" Yami asked, but he kept quiet although the answer is really obvious. Yes, he is.

---

In a pile of debris in one of the farthest edges of the underground, a group of men piled up in circle in front of their leader. Scars are very visible on his huge body as if they're tattoos, but who would believe that this was made by a person twice smaller his size?

"Boss! Boss! We’ve got news to tell 'ya!" Three of his men exclaimed running towards his direction, panting but has a great big grins on each of their faces.

"This better be good," the alpha man said, putting his chin on his knuckles.

"It is, Boss. You can finally take revenge on the Lone Wolf," one minion grinned even wider, catching their boss's attention.

"The Lone Wolf? The so-called Prince of all Thugs?"

"Yes, Boss," another one answered and the Boss grinned menacingly.

"He's here now. With the queen as I've heard," they said and their leader bursted out in laughter, smashing a debris with his clob.

"Let's try if we can find the Prince's Achilles Heel."