Chapter 41: Logan's Decisions

Logan lay awake before dawn on the morning of his 35th birthday, excited in anticipation for the day ahead. As a child, he had rarely been enthused about birthdays because they were really just another day in the Huntzburger mansion. Money or shares were given but even back then, it had no real value to Logan as he had just longed for a sense of security gained from truly being loved —not for what he could accomplish but for who he was.

"The gifts of love and time was all I ever wanted," Logan lamented to himself, "And they were the two things that were always completely out of my reach....... There's no way my child is missing out on my love and time! We are going to spend so much time together and be a real family."

Logan looked over at Rory, sleeping peacefully beside him. He had not let her out of his sight since she fainted four weeks ago. It had given him such a scare! He had devoted all of his spare time to reading every pregnancy manual he could find online and Rory even admitted he seemed to know more than she did! Two nights ago he announced that she needed to start sleeping on her side instead of her back because it was better for her blood pressure at this stage. Rory didn't argue with him —she trusted him and felt so loved and protected.

Mitchum's ultimatum had turned him off the thought of returning home any time soon. Logan had formally resigned from his position and any other connections he had with the family company. Mitchum had threatened to disinherit him but that did not phase Logan. He was not going to change his mind and he knew that even with the limitations he had physically, he could make it in the world himself.

Honor had remained faithful to her brother and was also tired of the ongoing issues that were part of the Huntzburger dynasty. She assured Logan that if Mitchum ended up leaving everything to her instead of him, she would be passing half the assets to him anyway as Honor and Josh were already financially comfortable.

As expected, Odette had caught up with the news of Rory's pregnancy. She had wasted no time in firing more accusations at Logan with threats of additional lawsuits due to a breach of contract. She also revealed that she had recorded their last phone conversation and would be using it against him. In the past, Logan would have been worked up and ready to fight but he had mellowed and with his new priorities, there was no way he was going to let it get to him personally. Colin was handling things for him and organising for the sale of his London apartment. He had also unearthed information about Odette and her French lover, Jean-Paul. It appeared that she had been with him over Christmas, enjoying a holiday in Thailand while her fiancé languished in hospital! Whatever the outcome, Logan was determined that legal proceedings would not impact on his life with Rory or cause any concern for her at all.

The aftermath of Rory's fainting had been widespread, with Logan taking immediate steps to find them a home to invest in, which was all on the same level. While he hoped to soon be free from the wheelchair, he was looking for the most wheelchair friendly home possible to minimise the need for major renovations. He knew that they couldn't stay at Finn's place forever as he was talking about staying in Australia for the foreseeable future. There were a couple of auctions coming up, not far from Finn's and Logan was determined to secure the best home for his family. Rory was dying to set up a nursery for the baby so she was praying hard that all would go well for them to secure a house as soon as possible.

They had discussed at length the possibilities of making a new life in Australia with Logan pursuing some new business plans that would provide for their future and allow for the lifestyle they wanted to make for their child. They would need to apply for a working visa but couldn't see any problems with that. With both of them technically unemployed, they pooled their collective talents to create a new style of online journalism that would allow them both to work from home, with Rory still having plenty of time for her own writing and of course meeting the new demands of motherhood. They agreed to give it a year with the start up being based from their home in Sydney.