Chapter 12: A Proper Catch Up With Dean

As signs of Christmas gradually appeared around Stars Hollow, the drama of Thanksgiving soon became a distant memory for Rory.  She was feeling a bit better in the mornings and there had been no more emergency trips to the hospital!

Lorelai had announced that they would be having an early Christmas/Bon Voyage celebration on the 18th December and made sure all the family could be there, including Christopher and Gigi, so all Christmas presents needed to be purchased and wrapped a week earlier than usual.

There was so much to be done before Rory headed off on her trip and while she was excited, she knew she was really going to miss Christmas Day in her hometown. Green garlands and icicles already hung from shops and the gazebo in the town square. The usual fairy lights, massive Christmas tree, sleigh and reindeer, candy canes, bells and ribbons completed the scene. Even the town troubadour had started singing Christmas songs!

Miss Patty had been advertising the Stars Hollow performance of the Nutcracker Suite and there were even warnings of early snow this season, which was getting Lorelai very excited!

Rory was busy getting the Christmas issue of the Gazette ready for publication. She was putting her very best effort into it, as she had a feeling it would be her last. Taylor was less than pleased when he received the news that Rory was going on an extended holiday and might not be available to keep the paper going. He was getting ready to bring the issue to the next town meeting although he had already had discussions with Kirk who assured him he could really be the one to bring the paper into the 21st century!

At home Lorelai had slowly been decorating the house. She had been super busy at the Dragonfly Inn with the influx of tourists wanting to experience a small town Connecticut Christmas. Luke had spent all his spare hours working on the outside Christmas lights both there and at home.

As Rory walked down to Doose's, she thought about the stability this town had always given her. She thought about the fact that this was the place she would always call home. Her roots were here. Rory remembered reading that people all need roots to be truly happy, well rounded individuals. The interesting thing was that at the same time, they also needed wings to fly!

Rory contemplated her current situation and thought, "I've flown, many times before but hopefully this time I won't end up right back where I started!"

The familiar bell rang as Rory swung open the Doose's store door.  Heading straight to the vegetable aisle, she could not believe the face that greeted her!

"Rory! Fancy meeting you here again!" Dean said wrapping her in a hug.

"Dean! We'll have to stop meeting like this," Rory smiled, "Visiting your parents again?"

Dean nodded, "Yeah helping my folks with a few odd jobs before our big family Christmas get together at their place. Now...would you believe it? .....I just popped in here to pick up some corn starch for my mom!"

"Really! That's crazy! Rory laughed. "Hey have you got time to have a coffee at Weston's? I feel like something is telling us to catch up properly this time!"

"Well I guess so..." Dean hesitated then seemed to gain confidence. "You know...actually, that would be really good!"

"Ok I just have to buy some carrots and beans. I'll be right with you." Rory hurriedly placed the vegetables in her basket and proceeded to the checkout where Dean was paying for his corn starch. Rory was feeling that same excited feeling she always had in Dean's presence. His height, rugged masculine features and gentleness combined to make her feel like a school girl again!

Walking down the street towards Weston's, Dean asked "So how is your book progressing —I really can't wait to read it!"

"I haven't had a great deal of time to write since I last saw you but that situation is going to change soon! How are your children? Head lice all gone?" Rory asked realising with dread that she would be dealing with similar problems herself on a few years from now.