Chapter 16: The Gifts

Snow had continued to gently fall throughout the night so when Rory woke up and peeped out the window of her bedroom, it was such a wonderful sight! Slipping into her warm uggboots, she went out into the kitchen where Lorelai was enjoying a breakfast of leftovers from yesterday's party!

"Mom! How can you do that?" Rory asked grabbing a piece of fruit.

"Don't mock me! There was a time when you would have joined in too. Don't worry, this eating fruit thing is only temporary —once those pregnancy hormones have gone, you'll be back to pop tarts and hot cakes!"

"You're probably right but I'm doing my best for this little one," Rory said while pouring some herbal tea to go with her egg and wholegrain toast.

Just then, they stopped and looked at each other as Kirk's van could be heard approaching the house. Rory rolled her eyes!

"No! Not today!" Rory moaned. They both headed to the front door determined to get Kirk to tell them who was sending the flowers.

"Good morning ladies!" Kirk said cheerfully, handing a stunning bouquet of red roses to Rory. "This is your final floral delivery - 'Yours Forever' but just wait there while I go back to the van to get the rest of this gift. Do you mind if Petal just goes in and warms herself by your fire? It's been so cold out this morning!"

Rory and Lorelai were just speechless as the piglet, dressed in a hand knit Christmas beanie, scarf and sweater, trotted over the floorboards and flopped down on the mat by the fire, beside Paul Anka.

Moments later Kirk returned with two big baskets and carried them right into the kitchen. "What on earth?" Lorelai exclaimed, looking at the beautifully presented hampers.

"These are our finest Christmas hampers. This one has a selection of fresh fruit, festive candles and many other exotic items sourced from only the finest grocery stores in the country. Please note the client has hand chosen all the individual gifts in this second basket. I'm quite sure you will enjoy them! Now it's time Petal and I got out of here...you wouldn't believe how popular my new business is!"

"But....who has sent all of this?" Rory pleaded as Kirk and Petal disappeared out the door.

"You'll know Rory! He said you'll know. Have a good day!"

"He?....well at least that's confirmed.... Oh I don't have time for this guessing game right now.....we're going to be late for my appointment!" Rory said pushing the baskets aside so she could finish her breakfast and drink enough water so she was ready for the ultrasound.

"It is kinda weird..." Lorelai admitted, "Anyway, let's not let that spoil our morning together! I can't wait to see my grandchild!"

Lorelai had organised to have the morning off work so she could be there for Rory's Obstetrician's appointment. As they drove to Hartford, Rory didn't feel like talking. For one thing, her bladder was full and every bump was a nightmare! The other problem was that she just couldn't get Logan out of her mind. Here she was, more than 3,000 miles away from the father of her child and there were so many questions in her mind.

"Is he the one sending these gifts? ...If so, what does that mean? ....Does he still love me or is he just saying goodbye? ....Is he trying to butter me up so I'll still see him when he's married to Odette? ....Should I be telling him I'm pregnant? .....Will I ever stop loving him and wanting him? ....Will the pain of losing him last forever? ....Will I be able to bear this child and raise it with the constant reminder of him with me every day?"