Whatever Loser

"So what important pack business did you need to go over?"

He shrugs, "I didn't, I just wanted to talk to you without that pup overhearing."

"Seriously."

"You aren't mates, Jennifer! He's just after your title."

"For your information, I've known him long enough to know, he isn't after my title."

He throws his hands up in irritation, and begins to pace, "You aren't being smart about this, what else could he possibly want?!"

"Is it so hard to believe he might actually love me?!"

"Jen, that's not what I meant." He sighs, coming to a standstill in front of me. He takes hold of my shoulders gently, "Any unmated guy would be an idiot not to. But he isn't your mate, do you really want to put him through the anguish of choosing?"

"And just how would you know if we're mates or not?"

"Because you're mi-" he pauses, looking confused. "Because... because he doesn't treat you right. Mates treat each other like gold, and he treats you like garbage."

"What is it with you and my personal life? You aren't my mate, you aren't my brother and you certainly are not my father!"

Saying he wasn't my mate sent ripples of pain through my heart but I ignore it as best I can. He looks shocked and hurt at the same time, before anger takes over, masking his face in gloom.

"You're right, but I am an Alpha, and it's my job to make sure nothing harms my pack and pack relations. Maybe it's time you grew up enough to realize that it's your job too."

He storms off, leaving me hurt, and angry that he would even suggest that I could forget my responsibilities as alpha, and abandon my pack.

I dial Joey's number but it goes directly to voicemail, of course it would.
Sighing I decided to head out to the meeting spot and wait for them to arrive, thinking about the plan we had concocted after Joey had come clean.

—————

"You have to tell Dani."

"I can't do that, Jen, you know she thinks we're mates. How am I going to explain not only that we aren't mates, but that I've been hiding my true mate from her?"

"Dani deserves to know the truth, what's going to happen when your pups are born? Are you not going to have her in their life? It may hurt her now but she loves you, she'll understand."

"I don't want to do it alone, you're apart of this too."

"Unknowingly, yes, but I will help you ,if it'll make it any easier."
——————

The plan may not be fool prof but at least it was something. Before I had reached the meeting point a blood curdling scream echos through the trees, and shouts follow laced with fear.

Dani's POV

I laughed at Joey's ridiculous face he was currently making, after accidentally swallowing a fly. We were walking around near the cliffs. He had started to tell me something, he had claimed was important, before a fly, zipped into his mouth. I couldn't help but laugh as he choked and gaged, wiggling his arms around as if it would propel the fly back out.
Finally he was able to catch his breath, and control his gagging, long enough to realize I was now full out cracking up. He glares in anger.

"Really! I almost die and all you can do is laugh hysterically?!"

"Oh come on, you're far from dead, and you have to admit it was pretty funny."

"It was not, now I've got to," He gags again, "swallow some peroxide"

"The was an young man who swallowed a fly, I don't know why he swallowed the fly, perhaps he'll die
There was a young man who drank disinfectant, he swallowed the poison to kill the fly, I don't know why he swallowed the fly, perhaps he'll die!"

"Ha ha ha, that's so funny I forgot to laugh." He grabs me, spinning me around, before pinning me to the leaf covered ground. He proceeds to tickle me until I can't breath, my squeals and gasps echo around us.

"Say: Joey is the best brother ever, and I won't ever make fun of him again, and I'll let you up!"

"Never!"

With that, Joey doubles his efforts. All the while laughing like a maniac. Oh my gosh I think I just peed my pants!

"I give up," wheeze "Joey is- stop! The best brother ever and," Squeal "I won't ever make-" gasp "fun of him again!"

Laughing he lets me up finally, grinning like a bobcat.

"There now, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

I roll my eyes, propping myself up on my elbows, "Whatever loser."

He just sticks his tongue out, offering his hand to help me up. Unable to resist the temptation, I discreetly grab a small handful of  dirt. Taking his outstretched arm with one hand I give him a powerful yank, as he lands on top of me I pour the handful all over his head. Using my long nails to really rub it into his tightly coiled locks.
Before he has time to react an angry growl rips through the the peaceful world, and a large she-wolf launches herself from the shadows. Colliding full force with Josiah, and knocking him a few feet away! She turns eyes crackling with fury, and jaws snapping. It took me only a second to scramble out of her way, but she was not to be so easily detoured, twisting mid leap to once again face me. I barely registered Joey's yell before I felt the impact of her paw, leaving me with several minor gashes. I stumble back, but I can't seem to get far enough as she jumps at me yet again! I scream as I throw myself backwards, colliding with something hard. Only to have the object fly backwards on impact. I turn, as I hear Josiah's shout, and in horror I see his body sailing down the steep cliff, and tumble to the jagged rocks below.

"No!"

·······························

Don't forget to comment and vote

Keep sparkling 💗 Madeline