6 *Rewritten*

"Do you know what they did with my phone? I need to call into the ice cream shop and give my two weeks." I ask, standing just outside the fighting ring in the training ground.

Philippe scowls, turning his head back to the two sparing wolves. "How would I know where your phone is?"

"Well, isn't it kinda your job to know what happens on a crime scene clean up? It seems sloppy to just assume all evidence has been accounted for," His growl doesn't scare me like it probably should. Neither does his amber filled glare when he directs his attention back to me.

"The warriors put it in the top drawer of the desk in the Alpha's office. It's probably dead though."

Sighing, I walk away. "Was that really so hard, Phil?" I don't wait for a response. I should have just told him thank you, but I'm sick of being the bigger person! He's being  such a baby -or should I say pup- about this whole alpha thing. It isn't like I chose to fight Alpha Dust, or become an alpha. I'm the one whose life just completely derailed for the second time! Only this time,Dani isn't here to comfort me.

"Evening, Alpha Embers," An elderly woman calls to me as I pass. I wave back, surprised to have so many wolves accepting me with more willingness than Philippe.

I walk up the stairs in a hurry eager to have my phone again. A no call no show will not look good, and I need to have a semi decent work history in case this whole alpha thing goes south. The office looks a lot better, it's amazing what a good scrubbing, and a little organizing can do. Now, let's see if I can keep it this nice. You know you won't, Jen. You never keep things nice, yo- stop. Get the stupid phone and shut up.

A shout keeps me from finishing my mental scolding. Panic sets in as I rush over to the door. I am so unequipped to handle emergencies, especially a wolf one, that I know next to nothing about! Dan is reaching for the handle as I open the door.

"Reports have come in that a group of pack wolves are heading this way. There's an alpha with them, this could get ugly,"

I stare at him blankly, "Just what am I supposed to do now?!"

"Lead us to victory, or at the very least ensure the pack survives."

"Oh, gee, thanks. That's helpful!"

Dan grins, "Anytime Alpha. So what's the game plan?"

Okay, Jen, just breath. Focus. "We need to send out scouts. Find out how long we have to prepare. Set up a strong border and employ our long distance defenses to ensure the least amount of casualties on our end as possible."

He stares at me blankly, "Long distance defenses?" He echos in confusion.

"Yeah, like snipers, archers that sort of thing. That is a thing right?"

"Yeah, a human thing. Wolves are more into close combat, I don't know if we have that capability at our disposal,"

I blink, "I'm no military expert but isn't that a huge disadvantage?!"

He cocks his head, "Huh, I never thought about it. It's just the wolf way,"

"Yeah, well, incase you didn't notice I'm not a wolf! I can't just shift into a beast and defeat the enemy. The closer I get to a wolf the less chance of survival I have!"

"You survived an alpha challenge, you'll be fine. Don't worry."

I throw my hands up up in frustration, the deep scratch across my chest pulling angrily at the movement "A challenge from which I am still recovering! I can't not fight, but I also won't survive; we won't survive as a pack if I do," This seems to get his attention. He is silent for a minute his eyes cloudy as he thinks.

"Philippe says to go to his trailer and he'll see what you both can work out for distance defense. Katie-Lou says that she's got something to up your survival chances so you should see her first." He leaves me confused as to how they new ahead of time what I'd suggest -and need- for this lost cause of a battle. Do wolves have psychic powers?

Ask later, act now, Jen. Shaking myself into action I hurry towards Kate and Dan's trailer not wanting to lose anymore time. So much for getting my phone. Kate meets me on the steps, holding a wad of clothing and what looks like skating pads and a helmet. Please tell me this isn't some makeshift wolf version of armor!

"Are you ready to be your own knight in shining armor?!" Oh, Lord! It is. "I confiscated these from some of the teens. Well, actually they donated them once I told them you'd probably die without some type of protection and it would be their fault we broke apart as a pack,"

"Oh, you just took mom guilt to a whole new level!" Kate grins thrusting the items into my arms.

"I know right! I'm killin' it already and I haven't even pooped the pup out."

I cringe, "Popped,"

"What?"

"You haven't popped the pup out yet."

Kate shrugs, "Potato, tomato, same thing. I'm told it feels a lot like pooping, but with way more bodily fluids and pain,"

"Okay, thanks for that lovely mental image. As much as I'd love to stay here and get more nightmare fuel, I've got to go see Philippe."

Kate nodded, "Oh, yeah! Human war strategy, right? Good luck!"

I force a smile, "Thanks, we need it, I always lose at chess."

———————————
Question for the comments: Have you ever played chess? If so did you like it?
Don't forget to vote, comment, and add to your reading lists.
Keep sparkling! 💖 Madeline