CHAPTER 6

Meanwhile - That Evening

Monroe, I trail down the stairs, heading towards the living room as I hear the television going. I step in, leaning against the door frame to see Shaun and Corbin sitting on the couch. His head resting on her lap as she gently stroked his right ear.

"Hey." I got there attention.

"Hey boo! Ready to go?" Shaun asked me.

"Yeah." I smiled as she stood to her feet. Corbin stretched a bit while resting back on the couch. Shaun kissed his cheek before trailing out of the living room.

"You good shorty?" Corbin asked as he focused back on the television.

"I'm good?" I replied, sitting on his legs. He rest his arms behind his head while giving a warm smile.

"You sure?" He questioned.

"Yeah, still getting use to all this." I said.

"You will, it just takes time." He replied.

"I know, but I couldn't be more happier." I smiled.

"Come here." He said, pulling me in for a hug.

"I love you." He said to me.

"I love you too." I stated. He kissed my forehead, giving a nice squeeze before letting go.

"This is just the sweetest thing ever!" I heard Shaun squeak. Corbin chuckled, as well as I before standing to my feet.

"We'll be back before dinner." She told him.

"Have fun." He said as I follow behind Shaun. We headed out of the house and towards her car, quickly getting in. She was going to get her hair touched up and asked if I wanted to tag along. I really wanted to witness this because her hair was amazing in my eyes. She had so much confidence in everything she does that it puts me to shame almost.

It didn't take long to get to the salon since everything was pretty much downtown. Once we did, she was placed in the chair and I sat in the empty one in front of her. I scanned through a magazine as she held a conversation with her beautician, Mortimer. That is, until she mentioned my name.

"So Moe, how you liking everything so far?" He asked me. I give a sweet smile, nodding my head a bit before speaking.

"It's good so far." I answered.

"Mmh, any boys?" He asked with a slight grin. Shaun began laughing and so did I as he continued on her hair.

"Lord Jesus, please say no." She laughed.

"Nah! No boys." I said.

"Good! Cause they ain't no good honey." He said with that same grin plastered on his face.

"They put the charm on you the first day and by a week later, you'll never hear from him again after he get what he wants." He said, causing Shaun to laugh again. I giggled, becoming interested in Mortimer; he was funny and laid back, someone I could associate with. I was becoming more and more comfortable with this town as I learn about it.

"Focus on your school work boo, then you'll have all the damn boys howling at you." He stated. I smiled, shaking my head as he spoke with Shaun in a low tone. I heard the bell, signaling someone walking in. I turned my head and almost exploded seeing Alorah walking in with two of her friends. She signed in and headed for a seat, yet with her head up high. She spotted me, sending that same evil glare towards me as she grew closer.