CHAPTER 5

Monday, March 23rd - Two Days Later

Monroe, I step into the doors of Landonfield high, nervous as ever. People were everywhere; running around, horse playing, swapping spit while touching one another, even bad talking one another. However, I kept my head focused on seeing one of my friends as well as looking for my locker.

This place was a lot different from Georgia. There were a lot of things I see here that aren't allowed in public schools of GA. Such as uniform; we aren't allowed to wear shorts back in Georgia, not crop tops unless wearing a tank underneath it. Basically, we weren't allowed to show much skin but our face and hands.

"M to the O to the E, to the Moe!" I heard a familiar voice. I turned my head to see Charles and Hansel approaching me.

"What's up gal?" Hansel greeted me with a tight squeeze. Charles played around with my fingers, attempting to do a handshake until I released an uncontrollable giggle.

"Good to see you, are you looking for your locker?" He asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, I am actually." I answered.

"2390." I said to them.

"Oh, that's right next to ours, we can take you there." Hansel stated.

"Great." I sighed in relief.

"No problem, no problem." Charles stated with a bright smile.

"No problem at all, right this way beautiful." Hansel added as he placed the toothpick back into his mouth. I sensed myself blushing at the name as I stepped in front of them. I've never been called beautiful, at least not by a guy; my grandmother would call me that but it doesn't have the same affect coming from a male.

However, that small tint of red ran away when I noticed the few stares from others. Some were even whispering amongst themselves as we trailed down the hallway. I don't want to be the outcast when I just got here. I mean, I don't find myself funny looking, but this is the urban side of the world. They may find an old country girl weird.

"They're just saying how gawgeous you are." Charles told me in a playful tone. I giggled at the word he created while following them around the corner.

"2390." Hansel stated, hitting his knuckle against the locker.

"Thanks." I told them.

"We can stay with you until class starts." Charles offered.

"No, I got it from here...thank you." I smiled.

"Alright doll face, let us know if you need anything." Hansel stated.

"For sure miss lady." Charles smiled, holding his hands up as they walked away. I give them a genuine smile then focused back on my locker. I silently read over the combination from the small slip of paper that was given to me. I got it open on the first try, witnessing how empty it was. I placed a few notebooks inside along with my english and history book before closing it shut.

I look around, not knowing what to do at this point. Everyone talking to their friends and going on about their business. Normally, I would just hang in the library until class started, but I have to remind myself that this isn't Georgia.

"Hey boo." Someone greeted. It was Jordi, approaching me with a smile on her face.

"Hey Jordi." I greeted.

"Girl you gotta loosen up. I know it's your first day but dang." She giggled.

"I know." I said with a small smile.

"Walk with me honey." She said, locking her arm with mine. We took a walk down the hall as she begin to explain everything that goes on around this place.