Niall is fidgeting in the seat beside the bed I'm laying on, twisting his big hands together over and over again. I watch him silently, realizing that he's just as nervous as I am.

"Niall, relax" I reach out and grip his wrist, bright blue eyes looking up to meet mine. I loved the shade of blue his eyes held, even more so than Arabella's but I would never tell her that.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, 'M just nervous. You must really be freaking out."

I shrugged, not wanting to admit that I was really terrified.

"It's okay." Niall whispers, sensing my apprehension as his hand covers mine. Even though this situation is confusing and twisted, I was glad I wasn't at another ultrasound appointment alone.

The curtain separating my room from the next is yanked back and a nurse steps in. She's a short, plump woman with a round face and long black hair that's cut in layers down her back. Her harsh frown at first intimidates me until she flashes a slightly warming smile.

Niall stares at her for a little longer than necessary as she closes the curtain, sitting down on her wheeled chair beside the ultrasound equipment.

"So, let's get started then" She smiles, slipping latex gloves over her hands. I lay out flat on my back, ignoring the urge I have to place my hands over my stomach.

The nurse lifts my shirt to just below my bra, and tucks a white towel into the front of my yoga pants. Niall's fingers push through mine as he stares at the blank screen on the ultrasound machine, watching it intently.

"I'm going to put the gel on now, if you remember from your other ultrasounds it's quite cold" She flashes me a toothy grin and I smile faintly back at her.

Niall can't take his eyes away from everything that's happening. They're glued to her hands as she squirts the freezing gel onto my stomach, and he watches her pick up the remote-like end as she spreads around the gel.

I relax slowly, turning my head to stare up at the screen. For a while it stays black with a few swishes of white as she tries to find what she's looking for, and suddenly, a tiny thud of a heartbeat is heard throughout the room.

I glance at my hand as Niall squeezes it, eyes blown wide and locked on the screen showing our baby.

The tiny thuds continue to pound, and for some reason, I feel relieved.

I was starting to care, whether I wanted to or not.

"What's that?" Niall asks, pointing with his free hand to something on the screen.

The nurse smiles, moving the thing on my belly to better get at the spot Niall was looking at on the screen.

"That's an arm,"

Niall's lips curl slightly, and he doesn't even blink away from the screen.

"Oh, thought it was something else." He smirks, and immediately I know he's talking about a penis. We didn't even know the sex of the baby yet, and Niall was already assuming our child had a penis the size of an arm.

"I can't tell you the sex quite yet, I should be able to let you know next time."

For the most part after that, we sit silently and let her record everything she needs to. After she's done, she wipes my stomach off with the towel and prints off two pictures from the ultrasound. I was happy to hear that my baby was 100% healthy, with two arms and two legs and a pumping, beating healthy heart.

"Thank you" Niall grins widely, thanking the poor nurse for about the tenth time as he escorts me out of the room. He was still staring at the picture from the ultrasound, smiling down at it while mine was tucked into my wallet in my purse.

"You've been smiling at the thing forever now Niall, put it away."

"No," He scowls, pushing open one of the many front doors at the hospital and holding it for me. "I'm excited, I can't help it."

"Have you even told anyone yet?" I ask hesitantly, chewing on my thumb nail. I get into his car, waiting for him to jog around to the other side to answer my question.

"Ya, my parents know. They're in Ireland though, should be coming over here in a few months to visit."

"And what did you tell them?" I couldn't help but purposely ignore the part that they would be visiting here.

"I told them that I got a girl pregnant,"

Niall bites into his lip as he pulls out of the parking lot, keeping his teeth locked tight and not even sparing me a glance. I immediately know that he's lying to me, even though I don't really know Niall, he was making it quite obvious.

"Liar." I call him out, crossing my arms over my chest. He glances at me quickly, before looking at the road again.

"I am not"

"Yes you are. What did you really tell them?" I wasn't sure if I even wanted to know what Niall concocted up to tell his parents.

"Alright, fine. I told them you were my girlfriend and that we had been together for a while." He glances at me once more while I stay silent. "You have to understand Shay, I'm their youngest, they'd be devastated if I told them the truth."

How does he think my mom feels? Forget mom, my dad was going to absolutely snap. Niall had no idea how he was, Arabella didn't even know to the full extent of crazy my father exceeded.

"Well, unlike you, I told the truth. I'm not going to lie either Niall, so you're going to have to come clean."

Surprisingly, Niall keeps silent for the rest of the drive back to my apartment. I wondered if he was processing what I had said, hopefully he wasn't upset that I basically denied any stipulations of us being a couple. I mean, we weren't together. Like I had said many times before already, we hardly knew each other. Having a baby together didn't change that fact, it just linked us together.

"I'll pick you up on Sunday at 3" Niall mumbles, parking outside of my building. I crinkle my nose and give him a questioning look, Sunday?

"You said we don't know each other, so I'd like to get to know you better." He shrugs, looking away from me. I notice the slight blush to his cheeks, the colour matching that of the current SnapBack he was wearing.

"Okay"

I close the door behind me, and make my way into my building. Niall doesn't leave until I'm safely inside and I can't help but let that float through my mind. No matter how weird, awkward, and strange this was it was nice to know, and see that he really did care. I just wondered if his caring was going to last, or if he'd just take off the moment things got rough.

A/N:

I'm updating early in the morning I know but I'm going to be busy all day.

Don't forget to vote and comment :)