Thirty Seven

Songs:
Nicki Minaj - Bed Of Lies
Naughty Boy ft Bastille - No One's Here To Sleep

I open my eye lids slowly, rubbing a hand tenderly over my chest. It's sore and pangs with aches when my fingers brush the welts she left behind. Rolling over, I see that she's not in bed, and I want to call out here name but my throat is dry and I need water.

Dragging myself from the messy bed, I take my jeans the rest of the way off and put on a pair of sweatpants that were lying on the ground. The air in the apartment is cold, and I have the urge to put on a sweater but I don't. Instead I walk straight out of our bedroom, walk down the hall, and go towards the kitchen.

The glass is still scattered everywhere, and the putrid stench of alcohol lingers thickly in the air like a stale blanket. I grab a broom and try to sweep up most of the glass to the sides so I can attempt to clean up the liquid, but I just make it somewhat worse by spreading the glass around.

Giving up with that task, I walk out of the kitchen and notice Shay's coat and shoes are missing from the front door. Frowning, I see her keys are gone too.

A horrible feeling suddenly hits me in the pit of my chest and I run back to the bedroom. I hadn't noticed when I got up, but the floor is littered in clothes. Too many clothes. I can't even see the floor, and when I begin to pick things up it's a scattered variety of my clothes with some of Shay's. Throwing open the closet door, my mouth drops and my knees weaken at the fact that her side is bare.

In a panic I rush around the room, yanking dresser drawers open, and most of her clothes are gone. She left a lot of things behind, but it's clear she left in a hurry, and my heart is in my throat as I race across the hall to the other room with Rory's dressers in it.

I can feel the tears on my face once again when most of his things are gone, too. My hands are shaking and I can't breathe as I slide down the wall to my butt, clutching one of his forgotten teddy bears to my chest.

She's gone.

He's gone.

My family, is gone.

I crawl back to my room, not trusting my wobbly legs, and call Shay's mom. She answers on the second ring and asks if I'm okay.

"No...no I'm not. Pam, is Shay there?"

The line is silent for a few seconds and my pulse quickens.

"She picked up Rory a couple hours ago. I thought she was going home."

"Oh my god." My head is in my hands instantly and I'm crying again. Shay's mother tries to console me but it's hopeless, she's gone, she took Rory and she's gone and she's never coming back.

"Niall, what's happening? What happened last night?"

"She...Shay's..gone. She left me. She...took Rory and left." I sob, and her mothers gasps. I can't stop crying, even when she tells me she'll be over to my apartment in a few minutes.

I hang up the phone and stare at the wall, my throat closed tight, my eyes sore and puffy. When Pam arrives she helps me off the floor with difficulty, but I just keep staring at Rory's crib, faced with the ultimate fear that I'll never see him or Shay again. She hates me. I love her and she hates me.

"Have a cold shower. I'll clean up the kitchen." Pam shoves me into the bathroom and turns the shower head on. I undress as soon as she leaves like a zombie, hypnotized in a trance, devastated.

The cold spray of water hits my skin in a rush and I wince, staring down at my chest, tracing the angry red marks caused by her fists. Some of them are already beginning to bruise, but I'm glad, because then for a little while I'll have those marks to remember her by, remember that she was real and that she touched me even though it was out of anger.