Twenty

I watch helplessly from the bed as her deep brown, intoxicating eyes water. Did I say something? Fuck, I must have said something to upset her. She stands utterly frozen in the doorway, her hand still wrapped around the door knob as her lip trembles.

"Shay, please let me-"

"Oh my god, Niall"

Tears pour from those eyes that I love so much as she rushes into the room and comes to the side of my bed. She leans down quickly, throwing her small arms around my neck and sobbing into my shoulder. Ignoring the pain I feel in my stomach, I sit up and pull her into my arms. Christ, it felt so good to hold her, finally.

I was so worried about her. Chelsea dodged my questions every time I asked her to phone Shay for me, and before I had the chance to argue I was dozing off again due to the doctors upping my pain meds.

"I'm so sorry baby." I whisper against her cheek, pressing kisses to the skin. She sobs harder, her legs turning to jelly but arms refusing to release me.

I scoop her legs up with one arm to sit her on the edge of my bed, again ignoring the pain in my stomach. I laboured my breathing, attempting to steady it before the excruciating pains I experienced in my chest when I breathed too deeply returned.

"I was so afraid." She cries, her childlike hands clutching tightly to the back of my hospital gown. I hated this damn thing but they refused to let me change it.

"I'm sorry, I should have gotten ahold of you sooner."

Shay ignores me, leaning up to look into my eyes. It kills me to see her face stained with tears, the moisture falling from her long lashes. "What happened?" She whispers painfully, the softness of her fingers stroking my cheek and jaw gently.

Her question startles me even though it shouldn't. My eyes dart to Nate who is now standing in the doorway. He narrows his eyes, slowly shaking his head to warn me it isn't a good idea to tell her the truth.

Gulping, I look back to the one thing I couldn't stand to lose at this point. If I lied, and she found out, she would be upset. But the consequences could be much worse if I told her the truth.

"I got jumped outside of Nate's place." I lie, my eyes unable to meet hers as they stay locked between our bodies. "Nate scared him off, and brought me to the hospital."

She sniffles and before I can stop it, begins to cry again. I pull her back against my chest, shushing her soft whimpers and stroking her dark hair. I was thankful that she believed the lie, but I still didn't want to see her upset like this.

"What's going on?"

When I look up again, Chelsea is standing in the doorway. I gulp deeply, feeling my entire body go rigid. Shay sits up, a confused look crossing her face as she looks at Chelsea standing there, glaring at us.

"Who the hell are you?" Arabella asks harshly, frowning at the blond girl in the doorway. I'm thankful when someone else speaks up, taking that job off my hands.

"Who am I? Who are you? I'm here with Niall."

I can't find my voice, having lost it somewhere in my throat. My arms tighten on Shay as she fidgets.

"You don't need to be here with Niall." Her voice is strong and solid, an annoyed attitude behind it. I'm surprised, I didn't know Shay had that in her.

"Excuse me? I've been here for three days now, you can't just barge in here and-"

"I can, and I will. See, Niall is my boyfriend, and I'm staying. I don't really care who you are or why you're here, but you can leave now."

Every single person including myself picks their jaws up off the floor from Shay's sharp tone. She was small, but man if her voice didn't send a chill down your spine.

However, I knew what Chelsea was capable of and I knew that any second now, she would snap. She was like Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" She seethes, taking a step towards the bed. "I don't fucking care who you are bitch, I was here and I'm not leaving no matter what you say!" Shay's eyes widen and she tenses in my hold, clearly not expecting the sudden outburst of Chelsea's. This was going to get ugly, fast.

"Back off!" Arabella yells, stepping between Shay's shaking form and Chelsea. "Who goes after a pregnant woman like that you crazy bitch? Back the fuck up before I rip your trashy ass hair right out of your head!"

Chelsea's eyes widen and my arms instinctively tighten around my girlfriend. She's shaking even harder, pressing herself as far as she can into my chest as Chelsea takes a swing at her best friend.

The sound of a slap echoes around the room and Arabella lets out a shriek, before she's lunging at Chelsea and taking handfuls of her hair into her fists. "You fucking bitch!" She screams, both girls plummeting down to the floor. Nate rushes to separate them but it's too late, two security guards are already rushing into the room.

"What's going on!" One of them booms, the noise causing both Shay and I to jump and the girls to stop fighting on the ground. They're being yanked out of the room faster than anyone can say anything, the door slamming behind them.

Shay is still shaking like a frightened animal in my arms, even after they're gone. Nate tells me he's going to go find out what's going on and leaves the room, leaving Shay and I alone for the first time in days.

"Who is she?!" I'm surprised when my arms are shoved away and Shay stumbles to her feet. I sit up quickly, too quickly, groaning when a sharp pain juts up my stomach.

"Please, Shay, just....let me explain."

"No!" She screams, yanking on her hair as she paces the room. She looks confused, angry and afraid.

"Tell me right now Niall, the truth. Who the fuck is she?"

"She's....she's just someone from at Nate's. She stays at Nate's." I lie for the second time. Her eyes narrow, teeth clenching.

"You sleep with her, don't you?"

Her stance intimidates me even though she's so tiny.

"No, well I-not anymore."

"Anymore?"

How the fuck am I supposed to explain this?

"Why is she here then?!" My tiny girl screams, throwing her hands in the air angrily. Her face is red, eyes blazing.

"Please Shay, please just calm down.."

"Why was she here and not me?" Her voice has changed dramatically from a loud piercing scream to a tiny whisper. It's then that I see the hurt in her eyes, and it's then that I feel her pain in my chest, right where my heart is.

"It's not like that, I swear-"

"Save it." She breathes, holding her hand up to silence me. I feel like garbage when more tears leak from her pretty eyes, tears she's determined to not let me see as she furiously wipes at them.

And then, before I have the chance to beg for her forgiveness and ask her to stay with me, she turns and runs out of the room as fast as she can; leaving me behind to feel like the worst boyfriend and father-to-be on this planet.

A/N:

I hate writer's block. Ugh. I'm running out of ideas to put in this story but hopefully I'll get more soon