Four

"Shay, can you take Elga her cookies please?" I sigh and take the small baggy from Arabella, trying to keep my attitude down. I was getting grumpier and grumpier as the days passed, my morning sickness still there but not quite as bad.

I trudge down the hallway, smoothing down my apron and walking into the same room as always. Elga is sitting in the corner, frowning deeply and mumbling profanities to herself. I was in no mood to deal with Elga today and I wished that Arabella would've just brought her the damn cookies herself.

Nonetheless, I walk up to her slowly so not to startle her. She snaps her head to me quickly, scowling immediately.

"What do you want, little girl?" She cackles like a witch and I grimace.

"I just came to give you your cookies, Elga." I place the bag in her lap. "I don't want no damn cookies"

I let out a deep breath and rub my forehead. I just wanted to go home and get some rest, or at least find a supply closet here to nap in. I wasn't up for this today.

"Don't eat them then Elga" I turn away from her, feeling the bag of cookies hit my back as I walk away. I jump slightly, realizing she's thrown them at me but I keep going, not stopping or turning around. I make it out of the room before I burst into tears, scurrying as fast as I can down the long hall towards the bathrooms. Some of the other employees stare at me as I quickly rush by crying, running into the bathroom.

I couldn't even tell you why I was crying, but the tears rushed so heavily that I couldn't even breathe or see. I lock myself into a stall, sitting down on the toilet and crying into my hands. Everything was just a mess, I was a mess.

I'm crying so loudly and uncontrollably that I don't even hear the door to the bathroom open. Arabella's voice calls through the stall door, and I cry even harder.

"Shay? Shay please open this door" She begs on the other side, wiggling the door handle. I wipe at my face and unlock the door, getting to my feet.

My heart is pounding as Arabella wraps her arms around my shoulders and pulls me to her. Her taller frame envelopes me and I cry against her stained apron, letting everything out that I had been holding in. I only had a little less than two months to find the man that I slept with and I could feel my entire life spiralling out of control. This wasn't supposed to happen, I wasn't supposed to get pregnant. I was so young, too young to be having a baby let alone raise one. That's exactly why I needed to find him, so I could get my abortion and move on with my life. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it had to be.

I wasn't ready to be a mother. I don't know if I'd ever be ready for that.

"What's wrong babe?" Arabella mumbles, patting my back softly. Before she even finished her question I'm shaking my head back and fourth, refusing to give her any answers. I still wasn't ready to tell her, no matter how badly I wanted to.

She sighs, realizing that with my stubborn nature I wasn't going to give anything up.

"Girls! Are you in here?"

I groan, pulling away from my best friend and wiping my tears away once again.

"Yes Jonathan!" Arabella yells over her shoulder towards the closed door. Jonathan was our supervisor, and a real idiot at that. No one liked him, not even the patients here liked him and they didn't really care about who gave them their food.

"Well I need you both back out here. Are you's almost done doing whatever the hell it is you're both doing?"

I can't take his shit right now, not today of all days.