Twenty One

Shay's POV

I didn't know what was wrong with me, but something definitely was. I had been throwing up for two days now, and when I got checked out by my doctor she had told me nothing was wrong with the baby. I didn't know if it was the stress of what was going on in my life right now, but I felt nothing but weak and helpless.

"Shay?" My brothers roommate Josh calls softly through the door. I flush the toilet and quickly rinse my mouth with mouth wash, rubbing my fingers over the growing swell of my stomach. I felt and looked like complete shit.

I open the door up, meeting Josh's piercing blue eyes. They were a darker blue than Niall's, a completely different shade.

"How are you doing kid?" He smiles, dimples popping in his cheeks and the silver ring in his lip shining in the light from the hallway. I shrug, looking down at his chest covered by a band t-shirt to avert my gaze from his eyes.

"Not good huh?" It surprises me when his arms wrap around my shoulders, giving me a tight hug. It's somewhat comforting, my own arms giving in and wrapping behind his back.

"I know how hard this must be for you." Josh mumbles from on top of my head where his cheek rests. "Having a baby when you're so young... It's tough. Just know that no matter what happens between you and Niall, I'll always be here for you. And I know your brother will too."

Smiling, I look up to him and meet his eyes. Josh was a great person, with a huge heart and a killer personality.

"Thank you Josh." I press a quick kiss to his cheek and break away from his arms before anything can turn awkward.

I needed to call Niall. I knew he was released from the hospital this morning and was probably at the apartment. The only thing that scared me was that she may be there with him.

I knew he was giving me my space like I had requested when he actually called me yesterday, but now I wasn't sure if that's what I really wanted. I needed to be getting prepared for having this baby, not sitting around my brothers apartment moping and wishing things were different.

I pick up my cellphone, sliding it around in my palm and silently debating whether or not I should just call. I was being stubborn really, wishing he would call me even though I asked him not to. It was stupid and twisted but it was just the way my mind was working right now.

"Just call him."

I jump, clutching a hand to my chest when I look up to see Josh standing in the doorway. He smiles a smile that doesn't reach his dimples, before turning and leaving the room.

I take a deep breath, pressing the key I had saved for Niall on speed dial.

The low humming ring sounds twice before he picks up the phone.

"Shay, hello?" His voice is rushed and it makes me feel like I'm interrupting something.

"Oh, I-it's okay, I can call back if you're bus-"

"What? No, no I'm not busy. I'm just happy to hear from you. Are you okay, how's the baby?"

"We're fine." I answer simply, leaving out the information that I had been throwing up for two days now.

"That's great, uhm, I really think we should talk. You know, about everything."

He was right, we really did need to talk. I wanted answers, the truthful answers.

There were two things I knew.

1) Niall was lying about how he got hurt. I could tell by the way he acted when he wouldn't look at me as he spoke.