Twenty Seven

Shay's POV

Rory only managed to let loose three ear piercing screams before I heated up a bottle and popped it in his mouth. Sighing with his light little body pressed tight in my arms, I leaned against the counter and gently rocked my upper body while holding his bottle in place.

Every time his eyes fluttered up at me I fell deeper in love with him. I couldn't believe it was possible for me to create something so innocent and beautiful, so pure and clean of any wrongs in his life. Of all the mistakes I had ever made in my life, deciding to keep my baby was not one of them.

"What would I do without you, hmm?"
I asked softly, more to myself than anything. Light blue eyes blinked a few more times up at me before he grew too tired to keep his lids open. His tiny fingers fisted at the blanket wrapped around him as his lips continued to suckle at the nipple of the bottle. I kept him still in my arms and walked out of the kitchen doorway to the living room.

It was still dark out in the very early hours of the morning, the sun nowhere in sight. The city was still thriving below, it definitely was the definition of 'The City That Never Sleeps.'

With a gurgle of a cry my gaze shoots down at my fussy baby. His forehead is crinkled as I pull the bottle from his lips and rock up and down a little faster to get him to stop fussing.

"Shh Rory, Shh it's okay..." I whispered, before switching my voice to a humming tune of a random song playing in my head. Rory's fingers curled around one of mine in his tiny fist, his eyes closing once more as he eventually began to fall back asleep.

My ears perked at the sound of a
shuffling behind me and I turned around to see Niall stumbling into the living room. He was wearing sweatpants down very low on his hips now, the sharp v-lines he possessed dipping into the material with a tiny trail of light brown hair leading down his lower abdomen. I smiled tiredly at him as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes and he lightly kissed me, carefully taking Rory from my arms.

"I've got him."

His hair was a mop of a mess, and his eyes glowing but tired.

"I'll have to call to book his christening tomorrow." With one last peck to the cheek, I began to go around him with the mindset of going back to bed when Niall caught my hand.

"Is that what you want?" He questioned, eyebrows raised and voice quiet and soft. "I mean, don't let my parents persuade you. If you don't want him christened..."

"No no, I do." I smiled, glancing down at Rory and lightly brushing his hair back. "I'll book it tomorrow."

Rory began to stir and softly cry again, so Niall quickly kissed me goodnight and lifted Rory up to his shoulder; gently patting his back to burp him. I watched him for only a few moments from the hall, amazed at how well he adapted to fatherhood. Niall was only 21, and previously a hardcore party boy but he was proving to me that he was capable of more than that. He loved Rory a lot and proved it everyday by caring for him the way a true father should. He didn't run and hide, he was right here with me for the entire ride. I was so thankful for that, I was so thankful for him.

~

Niall and I rushed into the church, the freezing winds outside whipping around. The solid wooden doors eased shut with a slight slam, and I peaked inside of Rory's car seat carrier to see he was still, surprisingly, fast asleep.
"Everyone will be in here in a few minutes." Niall hummed. He seemed to have something on his mind, though I wasn't sure what it was that was bothering him. I had asked him a few days ago after we had called to plan Rory's christening and he got all flustered, angry about something but unwilling to tell me what was wrong.