Twenty Four

Niall was huddled over Rory's crib, watching him with wide eyes as he slept. I smiled in a daze from the bed, cuddled up tightly in blankets with pillows propped behind my head to keep me elevated enough and comfortable.

Rory Eli Horan

It all felt surreal to me. Here I was, no longer pregnant but back home watching Niall gawk over our little baby. He wasn't even quite 6 pounds yet, a tiny little human being that we created ourselves. After spending a week fretting over him in the hospital, we were finally out of there and back into our own space. Things with Niall and I were.....better for now, I guess.

We didn't have time to talk or argue about any of our problems because we were too busy being up with Rory all night. The only time we ever got sleep was during some mornings and sometime in the afternoon, whenever Niall didn't have work.

"He looks like you." Niall smiled, rubbing over Rory's tummy, something we found put him to sleep faster.

"Disagree. He looks more like you." I grinned sleepily, propping myself up on my elbow as I watched them some more.

At that particular moment, Rory let out a screaming wail of a cry. His tiny arms rose and shook gently as he screamed. Niall and I still weren't completely used to how much he liked to scream, but I think that we would eventually.

With a groan I forced myself from the bed, ignoring the soft ache in my stomach and waddling over to his crib. Niall frowned at me, because I was on bed rest and wasn't supposed to move around too much but I knew he would need help.

Gently, as if he was afraid of breaking him, Niall lifted his son from the crib and cradled him against his chest. With one little pat to the bum he gave me 'the look' and I moved over to the change table to get out a fresh diaper and wipes.

Once Rory was settled, Niall unclipped the bottom of his onesie and made a face as he removed his diaper. Rory cried ever harder at this point, he wasn't exactly quiet or a sound sleeper yet.

"Jesus, what are we feeding this kid?" Niall groans as he closes up the soiled diaper and heads out of the room to dispose of it. I wiped Rory clean, lifting him up and settling his diaper underneath. Waiting for Niall to come back knowing he would want to do this, I took the opportunity to let Rory cradle my pinky in his fist and just stare at him. When he brought the finger to his mouth and attempted to suck, I smiled, realizing he was hungry and it was around time to feed him.

When Niall came back in, he grinned seeing he could finish the diaper. I told him to make sure it wasn't too tight, and tucked the edges in where they needed to be so it wouldn't leak. Then, when the changing was finished I moved back over to the bed and lifted my shirt.

Niall made it a point to stare until I got the baby blanket secured over my chest, Rory cradled in my arms beneath. With a wince he latched on and slowly began to drink. That was one thing he definitely didn't have a problem with. When he was hungry he made it clear and he didn't mess around at all. However, I didn't know how much longer I could have him on me like this. I heard most mothers liked the bond of feeding their baby this way came with, but I wasn't all that comfortable with it. I would prefer to pump so Niall could feed him too and I could get some rest.

"Let me peak" Niall mumbles, taking a seat beside me. I sigh as he pulls the blanket away slightly, checking on Rory who was still happily drinking. I watched as his little eyelids fluttered, covering up his dark blue orbs. He was getting tired, thankfully.

"I'm exhausted" I whisper into the air, not wanting to startle the baby slowly dozing off in my arms.

"Me too" Niall agrees, his left hand soothingly rubbing the tenderness in my lower back. I sat up straight, my spine cracking as I straightened out. In another few minutes, Rory fell slack in my arms and I detached him from my body. Niall offered to put him down, and I willingly handed him over.