Forty Eight

I posted a picture of some cute kid, who I'm using as Rory. Aww. 45+ comments for next update

Shay's POV

Insistent pounding on a hard surface was what eventually roused me from my deep slumber. I blinked one eye open, and then the other, letting out a loud yawn as I stretched my arms and rolled over on the bed.

I really had to pee.

The pounding continued and I rolled my eyes, wondering what the heck Niall was doing this early in the morning, but as I rolled over again my gaze found the fluorescent alarm clock and I realized it wasn't early at all.

My eyes peeled wide as I stared at the time; 11:38am. Shit. I had overslept, and what if Niall hadn't fed Rory? Or changed him?

I jumped out of bed and ran into the hallway, tying my hair up in the process. When I reached Rory's room, I quietly opened the door and sighed as I tiptoed over to his crib. It shocked me when I reached over and bent down to pick him up, noticing that he wasn't there.

Panic begin to arise within my chest immediately and I feared the absolute worst. I bolted out of his room like a horse from the starting gates, checking every inch of the apartment. Niall's keys were gone, as was my son and his diaper bag.

When I made it into the kitchen, I sighed in exasperation upon noticing a bright pink piece of paper held to the fridge door with a shiny "Cooper's Cars" magnet. I picked up the loose paper and read Niall's neat handwriting, that he had taken Rory out for a bit to spend some time together and that they would be home soon.

Gosh, how ridiculous of me to overreact and assume the worst. I thought that because of what I had done, that Niall would have no problem doing the same to me. Of course, he wasn't actually like that, and after our bonding moments last night hopefully he saw that I had changed and was ready to be committed and mature. I could only hope he felt the same way.

The pounding once again returned and I tiredly frowned, spinning to glance out of the kitchen doorway. I realized then that it was someone at the door, yet I was so out of it when I woke up that I hadn't put two and two together. Rushing over, I yanked a bright green sweater of Niall's off of the coat rack and slipped it on, zipping it up over my shirt. I unlocked the chain on the door and opened it slowly, peering out. Rachel crushed herself into my arms and I gasped, eyes wide in utter surprise. She squeezed me tightly, burying her tear soaked face into my shoulder. I had no idea what was wrong, so I just patted in between her shoulder blades gently and hugged her back.

"I missed you so much Shay, you asshole." She sobbed, frail arms squeezing around me tighter. I was slightly confused at her confession, furrowing my brow as she stuffed herself even closer to me. Rachel and I were friends but I hadn't deemed us close enough that she would be sobbing in my arms after my return from a long departure.

"I would've called...But, yeah..." I cleared my throat awkwardly, biting my lip. She sniffled back more tears and took her arms off of me. When she stepped back she looked exhaustingly unwell, the bags under her eyes so prominent I automatically assumed that she wasn't sleeping much.

"Are you okay?" I blurted, feeling suddenly tense. It was quite obvious that she wasn't well, she looked sickly almost, and I had a gut feeling that her emotional display of tears was not solely based upon her missing me.

"No." She whispered, her lip quivering. I immediately sympathized her, though I didn't know what had her so hysterically upset. I had never seen Rachel such an emotional wreck before, but then again we never were extremely close friends.