Forty Four

The plane ride so far has been utterly hellacious. Rory has only slept for about an hour of it, the rest of the time he's either cried or been fussy. He was also getting fidgety, and Niall was currently walking up the isle from the bathroom with Rory walking/waddling/falling and crawling in front of him. He just wanted to move around but this plane was jammed and tiny, and there was nowhere for him to go. He was very active and hated sitting still for a long time.

"He's movin all over t'place.." Niall shakes his head in disbelief as he makes it back to the seats.

I smile as Rory tries to dart away, and Niall has to take a few quick steps to scoop him up before he runs away.

He's shaking his head as he squeezes past me to the window seat, plopping down with Rory on his lap. He looks out the window, and Rory plays with the watch on Niall's arm.

"Mu mu mu...." Rory gurgles and Niall shoots his gaze down, his fingers curling around Rory's small fist as he babbles.

"He's trying to say mum." Niall states, and I bite my lip.

"He mumbles lots of things." I sigh, readjusting the sock falling off of his foot.

"Do you need anything from the apartment?" Niall blurts suddenly, but I refuse to meet his eyes.

"No." I answer quickly, and I can practically feel him rolling his eyes.

"Don't be stubborn. I'll move the crib wherever you want, just let me know where you're staying."

"I haven't figured that out yet." I admit for some reason. To be quite honest, I didn't know where I wanted to go. It would be ideal to get my own place. I didn't want to live with anyone but Rory.

"I'll help you find something." He mumbles, looking away from me and directly out the window.

We were so cold to each other, but at least it was something. We had so much shit to work on if we were going to be civil, friendly co-parents. And I had to work up the nerve to tell him who's baby I was pregnant with.

God, this was such a mess.

"Surprised your boyfriend isn't peeved that you aren't sitting with him, but me instead." Niall mumbles quietly, still staring out of the window. Rory giggles as he rolls onto his back on Niall's thighs.

I cross my arms and glare at the side of his head. "He's not my boyfriend."

Niall slowly turns to give me a dirty look, then looks away just as quickly. He leans his head back against the seat and sighs. "Yeh, okay. You used to say that about me too."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

This was so not the place for this.

"It means you played like you hated my guts when you were pregnant with Rory, then we ended up being together. Now that you're having his baby, it'll just be the same thing."

"That's bullshit, don't act like you know everything Niall because you don't."

I was dying to spit it out, if not to get the truth free but to rub it in his face that he was wrong, but I couldn't open my mouth.

"Most of the time, I'm right with you." He sighs tiredly, and I know that's the end of the conversation as he turns his shoulders away. I bite my lip in frustration and mentally scream. He was so frustrating, he pushed my buttons excessively to the point where I wanted to deck him in the face. Not that that would get us anywhere.

Rory crawls over to my lap and whines, rubbing his cheek on my belly. I know he's getting sick just by the way he's acting, so I bundle him up in his blanket and situate him comfortably across my legs so he can sleep.