Five

Another day at work, another day of long-lasting hell. I was in no mood to deal with this right now, my stomach was bloating up and I had exactly one month today to find the mystery man that I slept with. So far, my searches had come up blank. I went back to the bar we were at and asked some questions, but nobody knew who he was. I called a few numbers I was given too, but either got a 'you've got the wrong number' or people's voicemails.

Nothing was working out for me.

I stumble my way into the bathroom and stare at my reflection in the mirror. I looked exactly how I felt, emotionally exhausted and physically exhausted. My hair looked lifeless and I had bags under my eyes from lack of sleep.

I knew it wasn't side effects of being pregnant, it was because I was so stressed out over this, about finding this nameless man that I was driving myself crazy and making myself sick.

I stand up straight, and yank down my blouse that was coming untucked from my scrub pants. My stomach was starting to show, and I knew I would have to come clean to my best friend sooner or later before she found out on her own.

None of my clothes were fitting me the way they used to, and I found it impossible to wear jeans at all. They were uncomfortable to me, so I was always wearing leggings or yoga pants.

I smooth over my slightly tight blouse one more time and take a deep breath, tucking my hair back.

When I leave the bathroom I see Arabella speed walking into the sitting room and I frown, quickly following after her as fast as my legs will allow me.

Peeking my head through, I see she is crouched next to Donald. I watch their interaction closely, and gasp when I see her try to take Rover away from him.

"Arabella, stop!" I call, moving into the room. Donald is fighting to keep ahold of his stuffed animal and crying out in agony, while Arabella continues to try and yank it from his hands.

I step between them without thinking, my hands covering hers that are on the toy as I try to peel them away.

"He was hitting someone with it, I have to take it!" She seethes, yanking harder. Donald's wheel chair rolls forward slightly even though the breaks are on.

"He would never do that!" I defend, still trying to pry her hands away. She doesn't stop, in fact she pulls harder and suddenly Donny lets go. Arabella flies backwards, landing on her butt with a thud and the toy in her hands.

Everything goes by so quickly, one moment I'm staring at her sitting on the floor and the next my gaze is snapping around as I feel hands gently on my stomach.

My breath hitches in my throat and I stay completely frozen, unsure of what to do as Donald's hands touch my belly. His eyes stare fascinated at the slight bump, his hands roaming the front of my blouse.

When he looks up, his stormy grey eyes are wide and bold, his mouth hanging agape. Arabella is silent beside me and so am I, even though I have a strong feeling of what's about to happen.

"Baby, a baby" He whispers so gently, that I think for a moment Arabella didn't hear him. Until she gasps, her head snapping to stare at me.

"Shay..?" She asks slowly, her mouth hung wide open and her eyes blinking rapidly.

I take Rover out of her shocked hands and hand him back to Donald, before turning and practically running out of the room. Arabella calls my name once, but I don't stop. I don't care that I'm just up and leaving work as I climb into my car and start the ignition. I had to get out of here, and I had to get out of here now.

By the time I make it onto the busy streets I'm hysterically crying, shaking in my seat. I force my hands to grip the wheel tighter, the sobs coming out even harder now.

I didn't want her to find out that way, and I had no idea how a 90 something year old dementia patient could have possibly known I was carrying a baby. It didn't make sense, but it happened and now she knew.

I pull into the parking lot of our apartment building, and just as I get pulled into a spot my cellphone blares it's annoying ringtone. Arabella set it as that because she said I never hear it. I hated it regardless, but I had no idea how to change anything on this phone.

I yank it free from my purse and don't bother looking at the number, assuming it was probably Arabella to scream at me or ask me where I was.

"Hello?" I mumble breathlessly into the phone, leaning my elbow against the door and resting my head in my hand. I was still crying faintly, tear stains coating my cheeks and making me feel sticky.

"Ehm, hey. I had a voicemail from this number saying you had something urgent to tell me?"

I freeze.

It couldn't be.

Oh my god.

It was.

I would recognize that voice anywhere.

It had to be him, he had that accent that I wasn't sure where he was from but it was the exact same voice.

"Y-yes" I stutter, shaking in my seat even harder than I was before.

I don't give him any details about what it is I have to tell him, afraid that if he knew he would refuse to meet with me.

Instead I just book a time and a place, for two days from now, and he promises that he will be there.

When I hang up I have a sense of relief washing over me. It feels like a deadweight had been lifted off of my chest and I feel as though I can breathe again.

I found him. In all of New York City I found him and everything was going to be okay. I would tell him the situation, and he could sign his name on this paper I have and everything would be over. I could go get my abortion and my life would go back to normal.

I was going to be okay.

A/N:

I had a really busy weekend so I'm updating now.

Please comment! It's the most important thing! Let me know what you think, be honest :)