thirty three : regret

Start from the beginning

"She came uninvited," I replied curtly. As much as I disliked Margaux's surprise drop-ins, I didn't feel like wasting time bitch about her. I was more interested in her encounter with Autumn. "So, what happened? What did she do to Autumn?"

Corbin shrugged. "I came a bit late but I heard her mention Autumn and her English teacher having an affair back when she was in high school." He shook his head in disbelief. "I thought those only happen in teen drama series."

I didn't really know about Autumn's past so I didn't judge her for what had happened. Plus, I didn't really care about her exes or past as long as I saw myself in her present and hopefully, future as well. For me, that was enough. "What do you mean?"

"You know, Aria and Ezra," replied him as if those names should mean something.

I had no idea who those people were. "Who?"

Corbin rolled his eyes. "Dude, how could you not know the infamous Pretty Little Liars?"

"The real question is, how on earth you managed to watch teen dramas in the middle of science lessons and lab experiments?" Knowing how focused Corbin was on his studies, I wouldn't have guessed he had spare time for social life, let alone teen drama series.

"I blame Loraine for that. She dragged me to watch one episode and I was so curious about who 'A' was so I continued watching the whole series."

Loraine was Corbin's ex-girlfriend, or maybe she was his girlfriend. I had no clue. The two of them were on and off multiple times. I'd told Corbin before that maybe they should start seeing other people, some people were not meant to be together forever after all, but he refused and said that some relationships just needed a break sometimes.

That was something that I didn't understand. I mean, if you love someone so much, why would you need a break to be apart from them?

Sure, Margaux and I had broken up and made up a few times but I dated other people and so did she, until of course, we fell back into the same pattern and ended up in my bed. Not to be a hypocrite, but my relationship with Margaux was casual and nothing like Corbin and Loraine who were each others' first loves and first in everything. There was something sacred about their relationship that wasn't there in my relationship with Margaux.

Again, my relationship with Margaux was mainly physical and perhaps that was the reason why it was so easy for her to sleep with my best friend Matt. I couldn't really blame her since the whole time I was with her, I had someone else in mind. A pretty angel with dark brown hair who had risked her life to save someone she wasn't related to.

I let out a deep sigh. Maybe I couldn't believe Autumn was really kissing me because of this. Maybe I thought she was imagining Tyler while kissing me because I had imagined her whenever I'd kissed Margaux in the past.

Great. I guess this is karma.

"... the face is fine but you will have to put a bag over that personality. I was cheering for her when she said that. What a genius! That line killed it, and when I thought she had finished, she told Margaux that she was the kind of girl a guy would show off in a show or tell in a psychology class. Like, damn." Corbin's face filled with awe as he shook his head. "I bet your bitchy girlfriend is having a hard time believing that someone could say that to her face."

"Ex-girlfriend," I corrected.

He gave me a nod then added, "about time, really. She's been reigning Columbia for far too long."

I was pissed at myself for not being there. I could've stopped Margaux before she opened her mouth and spread more gossip. Damn it. Anger mixed with frustration boiled deep inside of me. "Are you ready?"