America

• Dedicated to Jake Williamson

I had the greatest time in America; the island was paradisaical. the palm trees moved ever-so-slightly when the wind blew. The sea was an aquamarine blue with jade green tinges, the sand was silky with little grains of silver fading to orange and yellow with little black stony flecks.

I nearly cried as the taxi drove me up to the house, the massive white building with its entire front wall of glass, revealing the wide screen TV and the black leather sofas, the minimalistic design had always reminded me of our house, though our colour-scheme was brighter and less American style. Americans did everything to the extreme. Every piece of furniture was black, the walls and floor the same plastic shiny white, the table and counter tops were white marble with highlights of cream, and all photos on the walls were in grey-scale. It was a beautiful but boring decor.

I turned the key in the lock that was left under the (surprise surprise) black flowerpot, with a yet again (surprise surprise) white flower. It seemed they'd taken the two tone design to the outside as well then. I pulled my suitcase into the house, feeling the bump as it went over the door frame reverberate through the cuts in my hand. I was totally not in the mood for this.

I left the suitcase in the hallway and went to the kitchen down the corridor; I noticed all the doors had been taken away to make the house open plan. I found the customary note with my Aunts handwriting on the front reading Sophie with a little cutely drawn heart.

I opened the door of the conservatory so the hot American air would breathe slowly down my back as I made myself a fruit smoothie. I kind of resented the fact that Riley wasn't here, if he hadn't broken my heart then we could be happily chilling in this amazing condo that we'd have all to ourselves for a week.

"Hm mm, hm mm, someone's looking good!" I jumped like a cat shot with a water pistol and turned instinctively putting my hands in this defence position, ready for any attack that would come.When it didn't I unclenched my fist and my mind registered the person stood in front of me; Nicky.

"Nicky?" He seemed to be staring at me with wonder in his eyes, knowing me my hair was probably a mess and my face burnt by the hot American sun. I wasnt used to this hot weather.

"Sophie, man you look smoking now your all grown up" I smiled and did a little twirl glad that he liked the way I looked. Nicky just happened to have been their once a year for my entire life, he even met my father when I first came here when I was too. I wish I could remember him.

"Wheres my welcome-back-to-your-holiday-homeland-hug?" I ran and launched myself at him, he caught me expertly the same as he did every year and then he twirled me in circles before setting me down with my head rushing and spinning. He could see the dizziness in my eyes and kept his hand on my shoulders until I'd returned to normal. Nicky was always doing sweet things like that.

"So, lets have a catch up, I havent seen you in just under a year and man you've changed" I frowned and looked down at myself, it was still the same tiny waisted blazing girl staring bacj at me in the mirror. But Nicky had always had a special initiative, and no doubt his powers would kick on soon and he'd realise why I seemed different.

"So Sophie" He said later when we were eating enchiladas in the conservatory on the swinging chair, true to form the chair was black too. The lack of colour was already starting to annoy me. "How are you finding not being innocent any more?" I nearly choked on my enchilada and coughed with my eyes watering and my face turning red until I could eventually splutter 'what?'.  

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about miss no longer a virgin" I coughed again and felt my skin heating up, I had teased Nicky relentlessly when he'd had his first make out session, this was obviously his revenge.