Nevermind the buzz

"Why do you look so happy then aye?" Lukas was sat on the wooden bench at the foot of the rope ladder below the tree house. His hair was highlighted from exposure to the sun and his eyes were greener than usual from the exposure to me. Everyone kept telling me how he looked happier around me.

"I don't know, I think your a good influence on me" I laughed, he'd been staying mine from time to time, and as I am of the opposite sex I doubt that would be me being a good influence on him.

"Liar" I said playfully, last night I had fallen asleep on his shoulder and had the best nights sleep I had in a long time. I never thought I would ever sleep with anyone apart from Riley, as in actually sleep. We didn't have sex on the cold stone floor of a tomb, that would be weird. Not to mention disturbing, more out of respect than for our sakes.

"No honestly, I think that you have been a good influence. I mean, you've given me friends" I stopped what I was doing, is that how he saw it, that I gave away my friends? I didn't really like that idea, he wasn't there to replace me.

"I haven't given you friends, I gave you the chance to make friends" He must have realised I had interpreted that differently than he had meant it because he stood up and walked towards me. We hadn't had much physical contact unless I was in some kind of emotional or physical turmoil. There was no way that I had the mental courage to stand this close to him and not imagine things I shouldn't be imagining because we were friends. Going out just messed everything up.

"I would never take them away from you, you know" I wasn't facing him but I could feel the heat of his breath on my neck, I heard him inhale slowly as if he was smelling the air around me and I thanked god I was wearing coconut conditioner in my hair, along with my favourite rose scented perfume.

"I wasn't thinking about that" I turned slowly hoping that I didn't startle him, he probably hadn't realised how close our faces would be once I turned around to look into his startling green eyes. Bt when I did he didn't flinch, or look down, or move back, he just kept staring at me. My eyes and then my lips and back again.

"What did you mean?" He asked curiously, a little too focused on my eyes. I felt scared, butterflies flapping in my stomach like I was about to meet a celebrity on the red carpet, an incredible a,punt of nerves.

"I think this is going to upset you" He sent my pumping heart into a raucous then, I couldn't even speak with a flat tone like I'd wanted. He leaned forward and laced one of his hands with mine, our fingers entwining like climbing vines.

"I doubt it" I barely whispered after that, I could hardly bear to look at his ethereal handsomeness in fear of jumping on him or kissing him until he passed out. He was so close, I could smell the toothpaste from his breath along with the subtle hint of the bacon I cooked for breakfast this morning. He seemed to notice the attention I was giving his lips because he smiled. I looked up into his eyes again feeling utterly terrified he was going to kiss me, but a good kind of terrified.

"Well I kind of liked you being mine" He raised his eyebrows like I had shocked him. "Not like that, I mean being my friend. I know that's really selfish but I'm scared that now that you've got Scott and all theo there that your not going to want to be mine anymore. Does that make sense?" He leaned in again shockjng me a step backwards into a table, where I clumsily fell and landed on top of it in a sitting position. I felt his hands on my hips, that's the only reason I had ended up sitting, I thanked him for that.

"I'll never not be yours Sophie" I couldn't believe he had just said that. I was in shock, I felt like I'd gone slightly tingly all over at the prospect of him being mine forever. His hands were still on my hips, and as I'd fell a few wisps of my fringe had escaped and were playing havoc in front of my eyes, and his hands lifted from my hip making me nervous. Then it slowly and lightly picked the hair away from my eyes and tucked it behind my ear, he stroked my earlobe with his thumb and moved his hand around the back of my neck making me look up to him.