Chapter four, Acceptance of the unknown

(My Perfect Riles)

"Hello Mrs Jacobs?" I said hesitantly. I didn't know how she would react to my request, probably not very well, I mean what parent would like the idea of their son going away with his girlfriend. Especially when she knew we had had sex. Yes, my Riley was one of those boys who tells there momma everything, although he would positively die if anyone at school knew that.

"Why hello Sophie, I'll just get Riley-bear for you" Reinforcing my point further that Riley was indeed a mamma's boy. i coughed and then talked fast and loudly so that Riley would not be called anywhere near the phone.

"Actually Mrs Jacobs, I want to talk to you, my aunt and uncle are going away the week after Riles and I finish school, and they want me to house sit for them, but I don't much like the idea of going to California on my own. So I would be really grateful if you would let your amazing son come with me? Please" I couldn't believe I had actually asked it. She would say no, I heard the sharp intake of breath when she heard me say California, i knew she would say no. What responsible parent would let their seventeen year old son go to America with his girlfriend?

"How long for?" Was that asking for details? Was that equal to considering?

"One week, well we would leave the day after prom, and then get back on the Friday the following week" She made a humming noise into the receiver and then sighed.

"I would let him, but I know for a fact that he doesnt have the money Sophie I'm sorry, and with me not working I cant give him the money" I already had that part covered. The minute I found out that Riley's mother was pregnant I had got a job. two, actually, if you include babysitting on various days and nights.

"Well, actually, your probably not going to like this. But I didn't want to tell Riley about the trip until I knew he could definitely come. I was hoping you would say something like that because I booked the tickets three months ago" She sounded like she choked on some kind of drink. Maybe I should have had this conversation in person.

"You did what!?" I'm guessing she had only said that because she felt she had too. She hadn't meant it, not really. And I felt my heart deflating.

"I found out at the beginning of the year, before we were even together, and I was saving all my work money for a car, but when we finally got together I just thought that this would be better. With his birthday too, I was hoping it could be a big surprise because i love him so much and I really really want him to come to California with me" I then realised that I told my boyfriend's mother that I was in love with her son. Embarrassment set in and made me go red, as if she could tell I was blushing she went quieter.

"How can I say no when you say things like that. You really care about him don't you Sophie?" I nodded, then realised she couldn't see me and said in a rather choked voice.

"Like you wouldn't believe" It was a simple enough answer but i heard her voice crack.

"Your a good girl Sophie, I know you'll look after my boy. Do you want me to tell him or will you?" I thought about that for a second. I officially had the greatest idea ever!

"Actually lets just not tell him. He could sleep mine the day before and he could drop me to the airport, but then I could tell him and I cant wait to see his face!" I didn't exactly scream, but my excitement was setting in and it was no longer talking level either.

"Alright Sophie, we can do that. So I'm not even allowed to hint, well he knows that your going so subtle hints wont hurt will they?" I rolled my eyes. I knew that she was excited too, but I think it was mostly down to the fact i had said that I was in love with her little boy. Telling her made me excited too.

He would love me so much for this.

He had better anyway, I spent three hundred pounds on his ticket!

And no way was he not going! I didn't care if I had to tie him up and stash him in my suitcase. He could forget all about boy camping trips, staying at his cousin's house. I didn't spend my car money on just anybody.

"I'll see you soon Mrs Jacobs, and tell Riley that he better not be late for our date tonight" She smiled, I could tell in the way her voice rose. She was happy.

"Oh trust me, I wont let him be late, in fact expect him there early" I laughed and said goodbye to possibly the coolest mother in the world. I hadn't even asked my mother to go or not, because it had been her idea. Anything to get the awkwardness to go away.

Now, my main task was to get all the clothes he would need ready without him noticing. That would involve telling his mother to sneak certain items of clothing when they were put out to wash. I was going there on Monday for dinner and I would ask her then. I mean how many Seventeen year old women would pay for their boyfriend to go to America with them?

Not many; but I was in love.

And people do crazy things for love.

I went through the rest of the evening cooking, just like I promised Riley I would. I was making an extra special effort, because I wanted him to feel loved, and wanted. Because he most definitely was wanted. Badly.

Tonight my mother was away on business. My home was completely empty, and I had made it into something entirely unique and special. I was worried he wouldn't like it, that he would think I was being all superficial and fake about it. Trying to convince him I wanted him when I didn't. But I had no other way of doing it, but I did.

I needed him to know that.