Decisions decisions...

"So what you gonna do Sophie, sit here and sulk or actually make a decision alone, without having anyone else influence you" I thought to myself, asking earnestly thinking that I had been trying to please everyone else and keep my social upstanding reputation rather than focusing on doing what I want. I hadn't gone surfing because it meant sunburn and tan lines for prom, I was going to buy a meringue dress because it was what was expected of me, I was going to have to play hard to get and be all stroppy because I wasn't the kind of girl to say sorry for doing nothing. Well then, maybe I should be the real me for once.  

Blue and pink equalled ugh in my mind! Most of the time anyway, neither pink nor blue would be on my prom dress. I would wear something original, different from what everyone expects and beautiful in its own right, and I couldn't care less what anyone thought. Because once school was over, I was away and I didn't need this anymore. My reputation could get stuffed.  

I would leave six form and go to a real college.  

Away from all these stupid idiots. All these people who wanted me to be the perfect prom queen, the most popular danceaholic alcohol loving party animal. That wasn't me, the occasionally party yeah why not? The occasionally drunken occasion, definitely, but perfect. No, not me.  

Well here goes nothing.  

I pulled out my blackberry and typed in on Google unique gowns in the local area. Using my gps obviously. One shop came up, and it was exactly three streets away, I had never been there before but I was sure I could find it, I didn't care what anybody thought of me. School was nearly over and I had nothing left to lose. 

A thought in the back of my mind stirred... Do you want to lose Riley? I swatted and crushed that thought away. Not right now, I was not gonna be all depressed about him.  

I had stuff to do.  

I was on a mission. I wasn't quite sure what the outcome would be yet though.

"Listen to me Rileykins, seeing as you two are clearly over, maybe you should get your ass back to a real woman" I curled his toes, I hated the way she used to call me that all the time. It was so false and pretentious. And then she insulted Sophie just so she could get on my good side, because we had broken up.  

"I am not your Rileykins Imogen, okay?" I said turning to walk away. I had turned up, bought my suit and walked about in a daze not really sure what to do. Were Sophie and I over? Was this the end of us? It couldn't be, I didn't wait for this girl and dream about her for what felt like eternity so that we would end after four months! I was in love with her god damn it! 

"Don't be like that baby, you know it hurts now. But I can take all of your pain away, just say the words" There was a point where I would have said it to her, that I wanted her. Being a boy I used to think that randoms would make my life whole, but I had felt happier with Sophie even before we were doing anything than I had been with any other girl. that wouldn't change. 

"Go away Imogen, your supposed to be her friend" I walked past her shrugging my shoulder as she caught ahold of it.  

"Ever heard of that saying, keep your friends close... Well she took you from me, and this means war Riley. I have five weeks to destroy your stupid Sophie and her brilliant shining glory over the school. So just you wait and see if I'm her friend or enemy" She said venomously and spat slightly at the floor before charging away flouncing in her way too tight, way too short mini skirt made of what looked like rubber.  

"That was a bit harsh" I whispered to myself. Technically, in her head anyway, Sophie had stolen her place. But it hadn't been her fault, the minute I saw her it was like everything else was inconsequential and meaningless. And that's how it would always feel, I needed to find her. Maybe warn her too, that her best friend was a complete snake.  

I looked up, there was a shop with vintage prom dresses and one off jewellery, I thought about how Sophie had always said she wanted an original cameo, and I had a few pounds left over from my suit which I had found out had been in the sale, that had made me happy. I walked into the shop and was surprised by how big it was, there was a few shelves full of sparkly things, how much jewellery was there in the world? I thought helplessly as I looked at the numerous shelves in despair. I would never know what to pick for her.  

I breathed out in defeat.  

"Can I help you?" I jumped as the shop clerk who was a plump woman, with wide eyes and magnifying glasses smiled clumsily at me. I stepped back in surprise.  

"Yes, I just bought my prom suit, but I need some shoes and cuff links, and I want something for my girlfriend" She started bustling around like I had the most amazing request in the world. I had a feeling that she didn't get out much.  

"Oh well may I see your suit" I opened the bag and pulled a sleeve out to show her the deep dark red colour. She awwed at it before straightening up and running to a far counter. I followed her hesitantly.  

"I'll be with you in a minute dear, I just have a customer" she stuck her head behind a red curtain before turning and smiling at me with big eyes. I then heard a reply from the back room.  

"Yeah, that's okay. I'll just chill in here for a minute" I found it funny that the girls voice reminded me of Sophie's, I had only argued with her last night and yet I was seeing her everywhere. And hearing her, man did I have a bad case of the love drug.  

"Well my dear, I think I may have the perfect pair of cuff links, there silver with small rubies on the ends. One second I'll just go get them" She disappeared and then reappeared with a small black box. She passed it to me before gesturing to the back room and disappearing through the curtain.  

"Let me just do the lace back up dear" I could hear her playfully chirping in the background of my mind while I looked for a necklace to give her. I hoped she didn't think I was trying to buy her, but I was no good with apologies. She knew that.  

There were a few I liked, but none of them were perfect. I moved onto earrings and still nothing. Then I moved into bracelets, chokers, clip on studs, brooches, and then I came to rings. It might be a bit suggestive me giving her a ring, mightn't it?  

"Oh deary you look beautiful, whoever this boy is your trying to impress, well your going to knock his socks right off" She seemed to bubble with excitement. I couldn't help but think the old lady was hilarious. And happy, of all the old people I had met she seemed to be the most bubbly and cheerful old soul.  

"So you don't think it's a bit, I don't mean to be rude, but well out there? A bit strange?" the old lady hugged and made a funny noise. I heard clumping footsteps before a mass of green shiny material was thrust out into the main shop. She girl was looking at the floor in shock at being hurled around, before turning from her and looking at me.  

Wow she was beautiful! 

It took a moment for my mind to register. Sophie? 

"Riley?" Oh my god... This felt a little bit awkward.