Epilogue

A/N
Hi guys! So this is the last chapter for I'll Save you. I'm going to wait until the end for a massive A/N though - so enjoy the final chapter!

3 Years Later

Jim winced as he cracked his eyes open slightly and was blinded for the millionth time that morning.

Why Pike insisted the graduation ceremony had to be outside this year was anybody's guess. Sure, it was a nice day, but the sun prevented Jim seeing anything.

He stretched slightly, purposely brushing his hand against Spock, who was standing next to him.

How much longer do you think we'll have to suffer through this? He sent telepathically through the contact.

Communicating with each other telepathically was a skill they had perfected over the years. Jim still needed to have physical contact to send more then just emotions, but Spock easily spoke to him, no matter how far apart they were. He said it was something usually only bonded pairs could do, but their T'hy'la bond allowed it.

Jim glanced at Spock stoic face, but the Vulcan was clearly ignoring him.

Spock, he whined, touching his hand again briefly. Talk to me T'hy'la.

Pay attention. Spock replied, clearly irritated.

Jim rolled his eyes but did as he was told, squinting to look at the stage Pike was standing on and forcing himself to tune back in.

"-Some of the cadets graduating today have shown extraordinary initiative, and great courage in the face of danger. These cadets, soon to be officers, will placed in vital roles aboard their respective ships. You all know them, so I will keep this brief"

He paused, allowing the chatter that had risen to die down. Even Jim was intrigued, this never happened. Usually newly graduated officers would serve under a more experienced person for several years before being given the position themselves.

"I will start with Leonard McCoy, who has been granted the position of Chief Medical Officer aboard the Starship Enterprise."

A gasp swept through the crowd. The Enterprise was the newest ship in the fleet, most cadets would kill to get a position there.

"Nyota Uhura, head of communications, also aboard the Enterprise. Montgomery Scott, Chief of Engineering, Starship Enterprise."

Pike listed a few more names, mostly going to different ships, before pausing.

"As you all know, the Enterprise is our brand new ship. She is fitted out with all the latest technology and soon will undertake her maiden journey, 5 years of exploring uncharted space. A ship like this needs an excellent command team as her Captain and First Officer. I am aware that this is completely unprecedented, but after many hours of discussion, command and I have decided to name James Tiberius Kirk as Captain of the Enterprise, and Spock of Vulcan as First Officer."

Cheers erupted from the crowd as Jim and Spock turned to stare at each other, completely stunned.

Neither of them were really expecting high-ranking positions on a ship, let alone Captain and First Officer of the U.S.S Enterprise!

"Everyone else will receive their assignments by the end of the day. Good luck, and welcome to the fleet."

Spock was the first one to react to Jim and his new assignment, pulling his shoulders back slightly and allowing a small smile to slip out.

Jim was a bit more vocal in his joy.

He let out a shout and flung his arms around Spock briefly, before turning and doing the same to McCoy, who was standing on his other side.