Chapter Twelve

*Jim's POV*

I walked into survival strategies and took my usual seat next to Spock.

I have been at Starfleet academy for almost a month now and have grown very close with my five friends, especially Bones and Spock.

Bones because we spend most of our time together and Spock because.... I dunno, we just really get each other. We still mostly only see each other during class and when we tutor each other but occasionally we meet up for coffee, sometime with the others, sometimes alone.

Speaking of tutoring, Spock is an excellent fighter. As a half-Vulcan, he is stronger then most humans, and he picks things up quickly. His only real problem is confidence. He doesn't believe he can beat his enemies, and until he gains that self confidence, he will never win a fight. Harsh, but true.

Our instructor, Mr. Matthews, moved to the front of the class and waved an arm for us to be silent. We complied and he smiled enthusiastically, placing his hands on the desk and leaning towards up.

"Tomorrow, we begin our first assignment!" Excited chatter broke out and I looked over to Spock, who lifted an eyebrow in return. "Quiet now" he called while straightening up and moving in front of the desk, then pacing with his arms folded behind his back, his expression turning serious.

"This assignment is not to be taken lightly! The goal is to simulate what would happen if you were stranded on an alien planet! You will each be placed in a different area of a planet that we have confirmed to be empty. You will be able to chose your partner for this exercise and the goal - Don't die! Figuratively, of course. You are to report to the ship loading bay at 0800 tomorrow morning where you will be injected with a form of electrical current, which will fade after 7 days. These currents will communicate with us and if you suffer something that might possibly kill you normally, like a hard blow, lack of food or clean water, etc, etc, they will let us know and we will pick you and your partner up, game over! You will be graded on how long you last in relation to the other pairs, and how you deal with any problems that arise. If your still 'alive' at the end of the 7 days, we will come and get you. That is all you get to know, any questions?"

"Yeah!" a boy from around the middle of the room called "is there any chance of us actually dying?"

A grin crossed the instructors face "there is always a slight chance of a cadet dying - but fortunately the risk is pretty slim here, anyone else?"

"Isn't there a disadvantage to some people if they get a crap partner" someone else shouted.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Spock flush green and sink deeper into his seat.

"Yeah" called someone else "what about the poor bastard teamed with Spock?" some other people joined in the laughter.

I felt anger spark in my chest, but kept my voice and face light as I turned to the guys "hey, guys, paws off - I called dibs on him" I called back to them, earning a laugh from Mr. Matthews and some of the more decent kids.

"Thank you boys, nobody is a disadvantage to anybody, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. For example, from what I can tell, you rely on a crowd of other people to back you. Let's see how you cope when it's just you and one person trying to survive, without all your groupies"

"Burn bitch" I muttered under my breath to Spock, who remained stony faced.

"Ok class dismissed, don't forget to chose your partner wisely, remember, it has to be someone you can rely on completely"

People slowly began leaving the room, talking to potential partners and discussing the challenge.

"You don't have to be my partner" Spock mumbled sadly "you can find someone more useful, I don't mind"

"Hey" I put a hand on his shoulder "I wouldn't want anyone else" I smiled at him and his face lifted slightly, but his eyes remained deep pools full of sadness.

"Thank you Jim, I'll see you tomorrow morning" and he departed, leaving me wondering, not for the first time, just how broken these people had made him.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by three of the boys who had made fun of Spock laughing loudly as they walked past me.

I was seized by that horrible anger again, and I felt an intense need to make them pay for hurting him.

I'm not a bad person, I swear, I only beat up people who deserve it, people who leech off other people's fears and doubts.

But I still couldn't stop myself following the blonde and two dark haired cadets. I also couldn't stop myself when I grabbed the blonde one after they took a right turn, leaving the four of us in an area shielded from prying eyes.

I pulled him back, punching him in the face and shoving him into one of the dark haired guys, punching the remaining one in the jaw while they tried to regain their balance.

Someone behind me kicked the back of my knees and I was knocked onto my back, the blonde guy jumping to straddle me, punching my face repeatedly.

I bucked upwards, shoving him off me and kicking him in chest while leaping up, leaving him on the ground gasping for breath.

The dark haired guys grabbed one of my arms each and I grabbed ahold of them, swinging them into each other with strength that came only from months upon months of working out.

They fell to the ground, one of them weakly attempting to get up but I kicked him in the stomach, he curled into a ball and lay there, whimpering.

I looked between them, disgusted at myself - they didn't stand a chance.

"What do you want?" the blonde guy rasped from the wall he had dragged himself too.

"Just, stay the fuck away from Spock, okay!" I growled at him "he's a fucking Vulcan! he doesn't care!" he called after me as I walked away.

"Yes, he does" I shot over my shoulder "more then you know" I muttered to myself, realising just how true this was.