Chapter Fifty Three

*Jim's POV*

It took quite a bit of searching, but we eventually found Uhura and Scotty in one of the engineering labs.

Scotty looked pretty happy and was chatting enthusiastically about some tech that he was currently working with.

Uhura appeared to be listening very intently and even let out a tittering laugh at something he said.

His face froze for half a second in confusion before lighting up as he laughed with her.

I smirked, she thought she was being subtle but really he was just overly oblivious.

"Hey guys," I announced our presence and they both looked up, Uhura glaring while Scotty beamed.

"Jim! Spock! Look at this stuff!"

He started chatting about it again and Spock listened intently, looking interested while I tuned him out and mouthed 'sorry' to Uhura.

She rolled her eyes playfully and turned her attention back to Scotty, her face softening.

I tried to look like I was listening to Scotty but on the inside I was dying. They would be so cute together, I bet I could set them up.

I gazed over at Spock, hoping to catch his eye and get a glimpse of what he was thinking. However he was too immersed in what Scotty was saying and didn't notice me watching him.

I pouted at the lack of attention but it was useless, he was still unaware of me wanting to silently communicate.

Uhura sniggered quietly and I glanced up at her sharply, glaring at her briefly before grinning and nodding towards Scotty.

"Make. Your. Move." I mouthed and she shook her head, rolling her eyes. "Not yet" she mouthed back.

"...... Jim, just think about the possibilities!"

I nodded seriously to Scotty. "Endless, right?" Scotty nodded happily and I breathed a silent sigh of relief that I had said the right thing.

"You know that new ship? The Enterprise? Oh she's a beauty that one. I heard she's going to be decked out with all this new equipment. Oh if I could get my hands on that engine room...."

I whistled quietly, fully immersing myself in the conversation now. "She is beautiful, I saw the beginnings of her construction just before I signed up. Serving on her would be a dream come true."

"Aye," Scotty replied dreamily, looking up at the ceiling.

My communicator chimed and I glanced down at it to see a message from Gary.

I need to talk to you, will you come by the gym?
-Gary

I'll be there soon
~Jim

"Sorry guys, I gotta go. I'll see you later."

Uhura and Scotty nodded while Spock looked up sharply. "It's not serious, I'll see you tonight?" I muttered and he nodded, his expression relaxing.

I hurried out of the room and headed in the direction of the gym, wondering what Gary could want.

I reached my destination and paused, looking around. He said to meet him here but he was nowhere in sight.

Maybe he was inside, or just taking his sweet time about getting here.

"Oi, Jim. Up here"

There was a laugh in Gary's voice as I looked around. I looked up and there he was, sitting perilously on the roof of the building.

"Come on," he laughed. "Unless you're too chicken." I scowled up at him and crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm not chicken."

"Then come up!"

I scowled again before finding the best place to climb and scaling the wall as quickly as possible.

"This had better be worth it." I grumbled and Gary laughed, leaping up and carelessly running to the opposite side of the roof.

I followed him and we sat down by the edge, staring out at the small patch of trees.

"We used to do this a lot, remember? We would sit on the farmhouse roof, or climb a tree and talk about life."

I hummed in agreement, letting the silence wash over me.

"What happened to our childhoods?" Gary laughed and I joined in briefly. "Everyone has to grow up eventually," I murmured when we finished and he grunted in agreement.

"You seem happy. Happier then you were when you left." He observed, looking sideways at me as I nodded.

"A lot has changed." I replied with a soft smile. "Spock?" He questioned and I nodded. "Mostly Spock. You and Carol?

He grinned. "Yeah, things have been..... Well they've been pretty fucking fantastic actually. She's.... She's perfect for me, you know?"

I nodded. I did know, it was like what I shared with Spock.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about actually." He sounded uncertain and I turned my full attention on him.

"I don't know if this is weird, this is probably weird. But I need a second opinion and I trust you more then anyone.

He paused and looked away. "Come on then, spit it out." I urged him gently and he smiled slightly.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box, holding it up for me to see.

"I've been thinking about it for a long time now. I really think she's the one, what do you think?"

"Wow, that's a big step Gary. If you think it's time I think you should do it - I reckon she'll be thrilled. Can I see?"

Gary beamed and opened the box to reveal a small gold ring with a small, rectangular cluster of diamonds.

"Aw, she'll love it! When are you going to ask?"

Gary's cheeks coloured as he slipped it away. "I have a date planned for tonight, I was going to ask her at the end."

I grinned. "Yes! Do it - and message me her reply after. If she says no we can go and get really drunk at a cheap bar. If she says yes we'll go get really drunk at a cheap bar to celebrate."

Gary laughed. "That sounds about right. Thanks for your support, it really means the world to me. I'll admit I was a little worried that you would be upset cause she's your ex and all."

I laughed, "Don't worry there's no hard feelings. But I will skin you if you don't let me be best man at the wedding."

Gary laughed breathlessly. "Yeah, of course. Holy shit, a wedding. Carol being my wife....... Oh god I hope she says yes."

"She will," I punched his arm lightly. "Go get her!"

He laughed as he stood up. "Wish me luck!"

"Good luck!" I called after him as he climbed down and literally skipped away.