Chapter Five

*Jim's POV*

*Beep! Beep! Beep!*

I fumbled around for the switch to turn my alarm off, hitting it just as I fell off the bed and ended up sprawled across the floor.

Of course Bones chose that moment to come out of the bathroom drying his wet hair with a towel.

"Having fun down there?" he asked, completely straight faced.

I glared at him as I picked myself up off the floor, then walked past him into the bathroom without a word.

It only took me a few minutes to get ready and then I accompanied Bones to the coffee shop.

After getting our coffees we walked to a park like area about a block away, and me being the coffee addict I am I had finished mine by the time we got there.

We strolled over to where the other three were sitting and joined them, lounging on the park bench until it was almost time to go to our first classes.

We were walking towards the part of the academy where most of the learning happened when we passed a dark skinned girl with jet black hair and long, curvy legs.

"Hey gorgeous, whats your name?" I asked her, smirking as I came to a stop next to her.

My friends exchanged wary looks but stopped with me, looking incredibly uncomfortable.

"Like I'd tell you " she replied, looking me up and down before turning her head away with a flick of her long hair.

"Oi, what do you think your doing, talking to my girlfriend like that?" a very tall, very muscular guy walked over, anger written all over his feature, I heard my friends take a step back.

"Relax Cupcake" I smirked "I haven't done anything. Yet" I winked at her and she rolled her eyes.

"What did you call me!?!?" he shoved me backwards and I stumbled slightly but kept my footing.

"What, don't you like the name Cupcake?, Hmm, what about, Sugar Plum?" He growled and went to shove me again, but I was ready this time and easily avoided him, continuing to smirk lightly.

"No, your right, I prefer Cupcake too" I said in complete seriousness.

One of his friends suddenly grabbed me from behind and he took the opportunity to throw a hard punch my way. His friend let go and I stumbled back, regained my balance and got ready for another round, but he was already laughing and walking away with his group, his arm around his girlfriends shoulders.

"Shit man, are you okay?" Scotty asked as I turned around, wiping blood from my mouth.

"Fine" I gave a lopsided grin "so, who was that girl?" Bones sighed and shook his head in a way that clearly stated 'your impossible'.

"Uhura, Hendorff's girlfriend" Scotty supplied "I vould not piss him ov" Chevok added helpfully

"Yeah" I rubbed my jaw slightly "seems like a bit of a dick"

"Yeah well" Bones clapped me on the shoulder "our classes are this way and yours is that way, so I guess we'll see you later"

"See ya" I waved and turned away from them, absently rubbing my jaw.

I realised with a slight shock that quite a few people had watched the dispute unfold, and were only just dispersing.

Then I saw him, the guy from the library. He was standing a little way off, by himself again with a slightly worried look on his face. I felt the same, almost comforting, energy, that I felt yesterday and began making my way towards him, but as soon as he saw me moving he turned away and was swept away with the crowd.

"Hey, wait!" I called in vain, drawing some strange looks from other people as I tried to push my way towards him, to no avail.

"Dammit" I muttered to myself as I lost sight of him "so close"

I sighed and headed to my first class, advanced hand-to-hand combat.
At least I look the part, I thought moodily to myself, thinking of my bleeding lip.