Chapter Thirty Seven

*Jim's POV*

Spock and I were sitting on a wall in the sun, the air is unusually warm for winter so we are taking full advantage of it.

Spock was holding a PADD in his lap and talking about negotiations in an attempt to teach me.

I'll admit, while I understand the importance of diplomacy, it is not my strong point.

"So each race responds differently to different situations?" I asked simply, although it was a lot more complex then that and starting to give me a headache.

We are supposed to be learning how best to deal with a list of different races, and then we have to be able to identify the race and have an oral negotiation with them in the exam, followed by a written section of course.

"Basically" Spock replied patiently. "There will probably only be four or five races, keep in mind many respond well to flattery - although not all. The chances of there being a real Klingon or Romulan present is small, but they could easily have someone else fill in and tell you to act like they are a Klingon or Romulan. Both of these races don't respond as well to flattery, they will respect shows of strength or violence better. Not that attacking or insulting them would solve anything, you just need to show them that you are not afraid. If there is a Vulcan they also won't respond well to flattery, a negotiation with a Vulcan should be conducted through logic and with no emotion."

He paused when I grinned, cocking his head to the side in confusion. "What is it?" he asked suspiciously and I laughed.

"I don't know how true that is, you always blush when I compliment you."

"I do not!" He replied indignantly and I threw my head back and laughed. "Oh Spock, you're so cute when you're annoyed"

Green patches began appearing along his cheek bones and he buried his face in his hands as I continued laughing, the lesson briefly forgotten.

The moment was broken by my communicator beeping loudly.

Cadet Kirk, please report to my office immediately.
~Pike

"What is wrong?" Spock asked and put a worried hand on my leg at my confused expression. "Captain Pike wants to see me. I guess I'll see you later?"

He nodded and I gave him a brief hug and kissed the top of his head before hurrying off, wondering what Pike wants.

............

"James T. Kirk"

Pike sat with his hands folded under his chin as he examined me from across the desk.

"Captain Pike?" it sounded more like a question then a statement. He sighed and looked away.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, I'm sure you were busy studying - I just have a few questions regarding the recent attack."

"Sir?" I asked, confused. Why are they questioning me about the attack? Do they suspect me?

"No, you haven't done anything" he grinned, clearly sensing what I was thinking.

His expression quickly dropped again and he let out another sigh, pulling out a PADD.

"Before you judge us too harshly for what we have been doing, know that it is purely for everybody's safety - you understand that we must do whatever is necessary to catch those responsible.

We have been intercepting all communications sent in and out of the academy, along with all communications within the academy.

Late last night we intercepted a message sent to your communicator from the attacker. Unfortunately it was untraceable, we have been going over it ever since but haven't found anything yet - it really doesn't make a lot of sense.