chapter 27

One Day Like This - Elbow

This is dedicated to Heathar03 for all of the votes. Thank you!!!

We strolled around London for a while, mindlessly chatting about all sorts of things

We strolled around London for a while, mindlessly chatting about all sorts of things. Xavier was always holding onto me in some way, either with his arm looped with mine, his hands linked with mine or an arm around my waist. I was starting to get used to the contact. Currently, he is holding my hand in a comfortable but tough grip.

Roughly every ten minutes, I'd annoy Xavier by asking where we were going or if it was much further. Xavier would only give me his famous smirk and shrug.

"Ugh, why won't you tell me?" I whine, moving an inch closer to him as a person walks past me.

"Because, its a surprise." He nonchalantly says and continues to show me the way. I must admit, wandering around London at this time is eye-opening. I get to witness everything at night. I'm shocked that a lot of shops and stores are still open and busy. There are still people rushing either from work or to go and meet people.

Its fascinating to see everybody; how different all of their lives are. I think Xavier notices it too but he doesn't say anything.

"Shall we play a get to know each other game?" I ask.

"Sure, you first."

Okay, that's something I want to ask him? Thinking about it, I hardly do know Xavier. Getting to know him better might make me respect him. Where do I start though? I don't know much about his family so I could always start there.

"Family? You never mentioned your family." I tell him and I feel his body slightly tense beside me. Did I say the wrong thing?

"Uh...well." He starts, nervously rubbing the back of his neck with his other hand. "I live with my parents and my older brother, Jake. He's going off to college soon though so he won't be living with us for much longer.  Honestly and between me and you – I've never told anybody else this – I don't have the best relationship with my parents. My dad is always working and my mom would rather be doing anything other than spending time with her family. So we hardly see each other. The only time we really talk as a family is at family meals which only happens at Christmas or when one of my dad's clients comes round for tea. I have a good relationship with Jake though, even if he mostly spends his time with Chloe, his girlfriend."

Wow, I didn't expect that coming. I guess that's why he never told me much about himself.

"Xavier—" He interrupts me by hushing me. "I don't want to ruin this night okay? Talk about it another time."

Closing my mouth, I nod.

"Great, well, my turn. What's your favorite movie?" He asks.

Pausing, I ponder. In all honesty, I have no idea what my favorite film is. I've watched a few and liked them a lot.