chapter 24

On Top Of The Word- Imagine Dragons

"Anna, why won't you? Its just for fun

"Anna, why won't you? Its just for fun."

I can't. I can't trust him -- what if he dropped me and I landed on my head? I don't want to get injured again, especially since I only just recovered.

"Xavier..." I start, not knowing how to put it to him. How would I tell this guy that I just don't trust him enough to lift me up in the air without dropping me.

Xavier gives me an expected look for me to continue. I bit my lip and run a hand through my hair.

"I-I just don't know if I trust you enough." I finally admit, releasing a breath of relief. I'd like to say the hardest part is over with but I still have to wait for his reaction.

Peaking up at him through my lashes, I see Xavier staring at me. He looks a bit disappointed that I don't trust him yet but he also seems to understand that.

"Annabella." He finally says, softly, taking a step closer to me. "I know trust is earnt, not given. But I'm telling you that you can trust me with your life. I'd rather die than let something bad happen to you. Okay?"

I'm speechless. I look into his grey eyes and all see back is the honesty and devotion. He really meant all of that? He would rather let something happen to him before it happened to me?

I feel so... honored. This man, who doesn't let anybody in and doesn't care about anyone cares about me.

My eyes start to well up as I continue to get lost in his hypnotic grey eyes. I feel like I'm starting to see the real Xavier. Not the cocky, possessive man who he shows to everyone but the man who actually cares and wants to protect. That wants to protect me.

"Wait, why are you crying? Did I say something wrong? Oh god, I'm so sorry princess, I didn't want to make you cry." Xavier panics, his arms encasing me as he looks over my face. The panic he's feeling is making me want to cry even more. I've never been so sentimental in my life. Yet, right now, I feel like crying cats and dogs.

"These are tears of joy." I sniffle, giving him a shaky smile. "Nobody has ever been like that, except for my parents of course."

"You sure?" He assesses me, his eyes sweeping over me.

"Yeah." I nod my head, wiping the tears away from my face. I hadn't even realized I was full on crying until Xavier said I was. Huh, funny. I guess my mind was preoccupied.

"Did you really mean that?" I ask, lifting my head to get a good look at him. I want to be able to see the sincerity in his eyes.

"Every word." He immediately answers.

He isn't lying. He really is telling the truth. He really means everything.

My heart is pounding in my chest. Its like its trying to tell me to trust him because it certainly does. And I think I do. I think I trust him to lift me up and hold me. I trust him with my life.