Chapter 21 :RE

•Sasaki•

"The DNA results were conclusive," Touka says, slamming down a blue folder onto the sleek glass surface of the table. Her voice is once again monotonous; her irises thin and her expression, taut.
"The verdict?" Mutsuki asks, and Touka responds with an almost chilling smile. "That means that our little restaurant vandal is the real deal," she muses, opening the file. "The DNA was matched with hair found on an item of Eyepatch's clothing we collected just after his defeat to Arima."
"So, what do we do now then?" I hear the scratchy voice belonging to Shirazu pipe up. Touka heaves a sigh before continuing, "We track him down, we find him, we kill him." Simply said. I look to Touka, who has gone from being mysterious to a child, incredulously giddy with excitement. "Get ready boys - now, the real work begins."
"We'll start by launching a small investigation into the first few of his attacks that began some years ago," Touka begins, experiencing no hesitation in explaining the plan in explicit detail. "We'll see if we can pick up any unique mannerisms that might help us link the two events together. Things like places, attack methods, and escape methods."
"Eyepatch has suddenly become violently active within recent months, so every ghoul attack will be investigated under the assumption Eyepatch is the perpetrator. All witnesses will give an eye testimony on the respective attack. This means I need you guys to be first on the scene to interview our witnesses. From there we'll try and get a gage of whatever Eyepatch is up to." Touka splays out from her file an abundance of large A4 sized images, all of various people and locations. I leer closer. Of the three consisting of people, one depicts a shaggy, purple-haired male, with a charismatic smile and arsenal of metal in his ears. The second shows an innocent girl, perhaps around thirteen years old, wearing a flower crown and pale yellow corduroy sweater. I recognize her features as those of the girl Touka and I interviewed some time ago. The last consists of an unmistakably laid back male, around 20, and equipped with a pair of over-sized headphones and picture perfect smile, dimples either side. 

Don't worry, I won't look inside.

"What?" I revert my gaze from the large images spread across the sleek surface of the table, my eyes coming to meet the gaze of all four of my squad members, each with a differing expression of confusion resting upon their features. I feel my eyes glaze over as my own face contorts in confusion. I look to Touka, her short white hair tied into two pigtails as a strand of hair falls in front of her face. One eyebrow is raised, her expression a mix of distaste, impatience, and confusion. "What?" I ask again, my own eyebrow raising. Yet, instead of replying, everyone continues to stare at me with the same blank looks. "Nobody said anything, Sasaki," Touka says, her tone questioning and dripping with malice. I blink twice, withdraw into my original position.
"No, someone said something, they said they wou-"
"Sasaki, really, no one said anything. Are you okay?" Urie's condescending voice rings throughout the silent meeting room. I crease both brows in frustration before reclining fully in my seat. "Oh," is all I can manage to murmur out. It takes a few seconds before I recuperate myself. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Sorry I guess I was just hearing things," I say, "continue, please." I scratch the back of my head nervously.

All eyes revert back to the three images strewn across the table. I try to focus as best I can, my attention specifically being drawn to the two males. The one with long, purple hair looks intimidating, with his lips pressed into a thin line. For some reason, when I see him, I feel intimidated myself, as if I have experienced the very anger and strength of this person before. His gaze is so familiar; and yet I am so sure I have never come across this person in my entire life. "These are our main subjects. The red-haired male and the girl are profiled as a former ally and a former friend of Eyepatch. The purple-haired male was the last known leader of Aogiri Tree that we know of," Touka explains. More photos are added to the table. One I recognize as the small rabbit drawing I found among the rubble of that restaurant, and two others show Black Rabbit and Rabbit with their respective masks concealing their identities. "So far this is all the relevant information that we have," Touka once again explains, "We know that Eyepatch, Rabbit and Black Rabbit all have some sort of link between them but we don't know how each are related." "Urie, Mutsuki, can you tell the others what you told me?" She inquires.