Chapter Fifteen

•Touka 

 I walk along the streets once again, but this time, I'm in the 4th Ward. I walk hand in hand with Hinami, who continues to jump and frolick around, which makes it extremely hard for me to keep her close to me. It's around ten 'o' clock in the morning, and Hinami and I are on our way to visit Uta, to get Hinami's first Ghoul Mask. She's super excited; I can't really blame her. She says she wants one like me, but she wants it also to be like 'Onii-chan's' or Kaneki's. I don't know how Uta is going to do it, but I'm sure he'll find a way. Hinami also said she wants one that covers her neck, but she wants a chicken one. A chicken one. All I could do was laugh hysterically when she said that. 

The snow rain's only just stopped, and it's been about two months since Kaneki left for Aogiri. I still sometimes wonder what he's up to, but there's no point in dwelling in the past. Anyway, I'm sure he'll come back. It's just a matter of time... I hope. I haven't been in contact with Hide either, and from what I can tell he hasn't visited Anteiku since the incident, either. I feel kind of bad, sad, even, I wish that Hide would still come round, that we were still friends. But I feel like Kaneki's leaving changed him, and split my and Hide's friendship. I don't know what Kaneki made him promise, but whatever it is it was probably to stay away from me. But Kaneki wouldn't do that... Would he? 

"Hey, Touka-chan?"

 I look down at Hinami. 

"Where did Onii-Chan go?" 

I almost stop mid-track. 

"Nishiki-san told me not to ask about it, but I wanna know." 

She says, a hopeful smile on her face. 

"He's just gone away for a little while, Hinami. He'll be back, don't worry." 

I say, hope in my voice as I look down at the little girl. She smiles, her eyes beaming with hope, and I smile warmly at her. 

"C'mon. Let's go get your mask. Do you still want one like mine? Or one like a chicken?"

I say, changing the subject. Hinami giggles a bit.

"If I get a chicken one, you'll laugh like you did before." 

I shake my head.

"No, no I won't. " 

I reassure her. She beams at me, giggling. 

"Can I have a chicken one with bunny ears, then? And and eye-patch, for Onii-chan?"

"If that's what you want."

I state matter of factly. She smiles at me, eyes wide as she begins to jump up and down. 

"Just wait till Onii-chan gets back and sees my mask! He'll be so proud!" 

Hinami waves her arms about, yet my smile falters. 

"Yeah, Hinami. He will. He'll be really proud."

•Kaneki 

I lay on the cold, hard, ground, the thinnest of blankets covering me as I gaze up at the cobweb-layered roof. My head rests on my arms, and I sigh, letting the steam rise from my mouth and into the frosty air. For some reason, tonight, all I can think about is Touka. Think about the entire time I was at Anteiku. I smile, remembering Touka's rare smiles, her wispy hair, her petite form. It's amusing to think she was so tough. But then again, you know what they say about short girls. They're mini-ninjas of death. I chuckle silently to myself. Good one, Kaneki. I glance over at my mask, which hangs on a bare nail protruding from the wall. It sits almost intimidatingly, as if the power it holds - which is nothing - is more than I have and will ever hold myself. It's hard to believe that it's been almost two months since I joined this damned group of ghouls,since I left Touka, since Hide was saved because of me. 
I think about what Hide and Touka might be doing now, how they must be feeling in each-others company. I think back to Hide's promise; did he keep it? Or did he just run away first chance he got, because he found out Touka was a ghoul? I hope he didn't. He promised me.