Chapter Six

•Kaneki 

I wake up early to the sound of birds chirping, the sun shining in through my bedroom window. I immediately kick the blankets off, getting out of bed and feeling the soft carpet against my bare feet. I yawn loudly, stretching my hands above my head and letting my muscles relax. I make my way to the kitchen immediately, pulling out a mug, a bag of coffee beans and a small fabric bag of sugar cubes simultaneously. 

I ruffle my hair tiredly as I scratch my bare chest. I only slept in my pants last night. It was far too hot not to. 

I put the mug under the coffee dispenser as I grind the beans and pour hot water into the mug, followed by a hint of milk and two sugar cubes to start with. The hot steam rises high above my head as the sweet smell of caffeine wafts through my nostrils. I sigh as I take a sip and think about what I saw last night. 

I had just been finishing my late night shift when Touka had walked in, a little flushed and tired looking. What had she been doing? Who had she been with? Is it the same guy that makes her blush furiously? Or the same guy that makes her fidgety? I feel my cheeks heat up as I just grab my phone and decide to just scroll. I take another sip of my coffee before I hear a click and a loud stomp as someone enters my apartment. Shit. 

"Hey, Kaneki, have you seen my ma-" 

I look up to see Touka standing halfway through the doorway, mid-step. Double shit. 

•Touka 

Oh. My. God. 

"Oh, ummm..." 

I say, trying to look away from Kaneki's face or bare chest. I feel myself blush furiously as I cover my face. His bare chest is so tempting, I want to feel it, rest my head against it and just hide. When I walked in, he was blushing. About what? I know he was looking down at his phone, so it must have been someone he was talking to...

"I-I was just looking for my mask... I was w-wondering if you had, you know, uhh... Hehe... Se-seen it..." 

I say, stuttering. Nice one, Touka. 

"Oh, well no, I haven't. S-sorry." 

"W-well.. O-okay..." 

I reply, awkwardly spinning around and making a break for the exit. As soon as I feel my hands touch the door, I slam it shut behind me, leaning against it as I let out a much needed and slightly nervous sigh. I close my eyes as my mind envision's Kaneki's bare torso, his messy bed hair; his husky morning voice. My hands start to get sweaty and I blush intensely at the thoughts. I attempt to stop thinking about what it would feel like my hands on his chest, or his hair on my neck. But it's really, really, excruciatingly hard. Almost impossible. 

But then, different thoughts start to replace those ones. Thoughts about why Kaneki was blushing like an idiot, and who he might have been talking to on his phone. Was it by any chance the girl he seems to be so in love with? I clench my fists; Kaneki likes someone. It's that obvious. It's not me. I should just give up. 

I sigh, opening my eyes and moving away from the door of Kaneki's apartment. I look for signs of life; it would look trippy to anyone seeing me come out of Kaneki's apartment this flustered. 

I make my way back slowly to my own apartment, where I continue my search for my mask. Hinami and I were planning on going out and getting some books from the local library today, and I need my mask. I sigh. I should just forget about what happened this morning. 

~•♡•~

I walk back to Anteiku with an emotionless expression. I managed to find my mask, which had been under my homework all along. Hinami continues to jump in puddles as we walk along the concrete pathways. It rained last night, yet it was blisteringly hot. I can see why Kaneki had his shirt off this morning...