Chapter Ten :RE

•Touka 

"Hey; yeah, Hide? It's me. I was just wondering if you were still in contact with that old girlfriend of yours?"

"Oh, uh... Wh-which one?"

"Her name was Tomoyo, I think."
"Oh yeah! No, I'm not. Why?"
I groan. 
"Oh no reason... Except for the fact that she just happens to be linked to Aogiri Tree and is most probably the one who ratted out both yours and Kaneki's location." I grit my teeth, mentally shooting myself for not having realized it sooner; Like two and a half years sooner. 
I yell at myself impatiently as I let my anger out on the punching bag, extending my leg out and feeling a stinging feeling as my skin makes contact with the rough fabric. A bead of sweat rolls down my forehead as I continue to train myself. 
"What? Really?!" 
"Yeah. Turns out your little love bird was the reason all this happened." I say, breathing heavily. 
"Do you still know if she attends the academy? Or was it just one of those 'hit and run' scenarios?" I continue. A moments pause as Hide thinks it over. 
"Umm... No, no I don't think so. Right after the incident with Kaneki and etcetera, she kinda just disappeared. Not that anyone noticed." Hide mumbles the last part.
"Okay. Well, thanks anyway Hide. I'll try to locate her myself. I have a feeling she's going to be a very important asset in finding you-know-who." I reply in a serious tone. I hear Hide sigh. 
"Why don't you just use his name, Touka? It's not like he's someone who must not be named." I shrug, even though I know he can't see or feel my body movement. 
"I don't know. I feel like using his name is like saying I still love him, you know? When someone betrays you the way he betrayed me you just don't want anything to do with them. That's why I don't say it." A long pause. 
"Okay, well I've gotta go anyway 'cause I still have to study for that exam tomorrow." I chuckle. 
"After tomorrow you'll finally be able to know those words to that song then, aye?" He laughs.
"Hell yeah I will. Took me like five years but hopefully this one will be my last." He says. 
"Well, I'll see you later Hide. Come over tomorrow and you can tell me all about it."  With that, we say our goodbyes, and I hear the consecutive beeping that is the sound of the line being disconnected. I press a button on my earpiece, letting the sound fade away as I continue to punch my punching bag; if I'm going to put all my effort into this one case, then I might as well do it thoroughly. Now, all I'm gonna have to do is establish an all out investigation to decipher that stow-aways whereabouts. Not that hard. 

•Sasaki 

It's cold... Dark... Lonely... 
I struggle to move, as if my whole body has been taken over by some other person; like someone is trying to control me - from the inside out. I feel a pair of imaginary hands grab at my mind, making me scream out in pain. I feel eyes on me as I collapse onto hard cement feeling ground, grasping my real scalp as hard as I can. This isn't normal... What is this? I've got to escape... I have to... What if something happens to - 
"What is it you think you're doing?" A pained voice croaks. It sounds almost as bad as I feel. 
"Who are you?! What are you doing inside my head?!" I screech. Whether I say it in my mind or share it with the world, I don't know. 
"I think you should be the one answering that question."  They say. The panting continues. Pain shoots up through my temple, and I feel my body collapse. 
"This is my head... My body... Get out!"  
"I'm sorry... I can't do that. You see, I am you and you are me. We are individuals, yet the same one person. This is my head, you are simply just a figment of my very twisted imagination."  A maniacal laugh emits into the darkness. What is this sick game? 
"We're not the same person...I am not just a figment of your imagination... I am my own person...You liar!" Another laugh.
"There is no need to be angry... Your mind is just as twisted as mine...Tell me...What was it that made you become so twisted? So unraveled? So tortured beyond compare, you think the only thing you have left is one girl?" I feel my eyes go wide and my heart stop. I'm lost for words, trying to find an answer to his question that he hasn't already said. 
"I-I-" 
"Or wait, is that not you?" An evil laugh.
"I forgot. That was my story. "  I grit my teeth, before hearing a small scoff emit from this scandalous persons lips. 
"See? You don't even know... Because you have no story... You have no memory of something I experienced... You were simply created for the convenience of conserving my life. You must understand that the girl you are after is not the one you want - she is the one I want, Sasaki... Haise. You are only here because of me... Without me, you cease to exist." My eyes widen. 
"You're a liar! I am my own person...My own being... I can make my own decisions... My emotions...They're all mine...My love for Touka... That's mine..."
"You are the one who lies... You lie right now. That nonsense you're spilling? It's not true... Your love for Touka-chan is simply just a mirror image of my own affections. This is why I need my body back, you see. So I can discard you... And seize her. Your time is up, Sasaki Haise... Give in." I'm about to reply, until my eyes widen as an itching pain shoots through my upper back, spreading across my muscles like wildfire. I scream out in pain as the devious voice around me just laughs. I crease my eyebrows, shouting into the darkness. 
"This is my body! I won't let you take-" But by then its too late. I didn't think it possible, but I feel my body weaken even more, and my soul plunges into even darker territory - unknown territory. I'm not the kind of type to give up easily... But let's say I did. Don't you think...

That it would most certainly be... 

A tragedy? 

Hey, sorry for not updating that much recently. Like I said I've been busy! I hope you guys really enjoyed this chapter, I put a lot of thought into it! I also planned to make this a twenty or so fanfic, but I feel like I'm just gonna let the sensations flow with this one. Go with the flow... What ever happens happens, and I just hope you love reading it as long as it might take :3 (Sorry for you Short story lovers!) Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed it, please comment! I really need a confidence boost at the moment since I'm unmotivated at the mo... 
Anyways, leave a comment, vote, share! It means the world to me that I've already gotten over 30K reads! Keep up the great support guys, I love you. 

~Touka