Chapter Twelve :RE

•Touka 

I approach the scene with caution, my eyes widening at just how brutal the attack really was. I gulp, taking a big breath to regain my breath that seems to have temporarily left me, and take a step forward. Broken shards of glass crackle beneath my feet, making a 'schh' sound with every single step I take. I feel my breathing shake as the memories of that night rewind themselves through my head, like a VCR tape that's not quite gotten back to the start.
I shake the unwanted thoughts from my mind, and continue to step forward in anticipation. My heart is racing; did he really do this? Or was it not even him?
I scan the area; there are shards of glass across every inch of the blood splattered ground, gravel and soil mixed in from what seems to be flower pots. Broken clay lays around the window sill, while small specks of blood taint what is left of the large bay window. It's almost unbelievable how much damage has been done.

Two police officers stand at the edge of the scene, a look of foreboding hanging across their eyelids. It doesn't help that it's relatively dark and the streetlight above their heads keep flickering. I'm so glad I'm a ghoul - I have enhanced senses. I decide to walk over to them, shadowing one of my eyes with my curly fringe. The glass under my feet continues to crunch.

At the sound of me approaching, both police officers look up; one a man, one a woman. They look troubled.
"Evening, Officers." I say politely, adjusting my coat on my small frame.
"Evening -?"
"Sorry. How rude of me. CCG Rank 3 Investigator Kirishima." I say. They nod their heads, sighing in relief.
"Thank god someone's down here." The woman takes a step forward, her brown haired-pony tail swishing as she gives me a small look of gratitude and extends her hand. I shake it.
"So what's happened?" I say in a business like tone.
The police woman stands back, observing the scene as I follow suit.
"Well, the attack happened around four thirty this afternoon, lasted a few minutes, and then ended. The ones responsible vanished after that." I nod my head.
"Right. Hang on." I pull a cell phone out of my coat pocket - my work phone, something I always leave in my uniform coat. I punch in a few numbers on the dial as quick as I can, and press the flat slab of plastic to my ear. They pick up on the third ring.
"Hello?"
"Yeah, hi Mutsuki."
"Oh! Kirishima-san, what're you calling so late for?"
"I'll tell you in a second. I want you to contact everyone in the squad and get them down to the restaurant between Second and Third Av."
"Wait, you mean where the ghoul attack happened?"
"Yes." I nod my head, even know I know that he cannot see me.
"Y-yes, Kirishima-san. I'll do that right now."
"Okay, thank you." I say. With that, Mutsuki hangs up, and I turn back to the police officers.
"I've called for backup. We're going to find the ghoul responsible for this." I say. The police officers sigh heavily in relief.
"Meanwhile, do you mind if I take a look around?" They both shake their heads. With that, I take a step forward and head right into the restaurant. The inside is much worse. A majority of the tables lay lopsided on the ground, others pushed against the sides of the room. The fireplace that stood in the corner has been blown to smithereens, pieces of crumbled red brick laying in a disarray of panic. Small flames still emit from the hearth, glowing brightly in the almost pitch black. Table cloths have become big lumps on the floor, walls have become rubble.
Scanning near the window, I notice that there is no glass on the inside of the building, and that the area around it and beneath it is completely clear. I crease my eyebrows. Storing that information in the back of my mind for later, I being to walk through the disarray of furniture and broken materials. Even some food still lies around. Stepping over plates of food and splatters of spaghetti bolognese, I scan the scene for any evidence that the intruder was who I think it was.
At that moment, I immediately spot a small piece of black material, although it looks more like a mineral than anything else. I rush over to it, picking it up off of the table it sat on, and brought it close to my face. Bending down, I put it up to the light and ran it between my index and thumb. Yup; it's definitely hair. I smile, clutching it in my hand as I walk around the area a little more; if the window was the exit, then what was the entrance? I shake my head; I can figure that out later. I continue to hear crunching sounds as damaged glassware and porcelain-ware crumple beneath the pressure of my feet.
Upon walking past a very dusty pile of red, broken bricks, I notice something white; I walk over to it and pick it up. It's easier to see this material without light, but it's obvious that it's hair. White and black hair? That's unusual, although people today have all different kinds of colors in their roots. I once again clutch it tightly in my hand and continue my small investigation, coming across with nothing else. I still don't understand how the intruder got in. I shake my head, walking out of the disarray of furniture and fire, and meet up next to the police officers once again.
"Anything?" I nod my head once. I extend my hand out, showing them the two very different pieces of hair as they look at it in what seems like abashment.
"It's hair. One white, the other black. From what I can tell they're from the same head, although we'll have to run tests to confirm it." I say. They nod their heads.
"Also," I say, pointing to the broken window, "Have you ever thought of how the intruder got in?" I continue. The male steps forward. Bringing his cap down from his head and running his calloused fingers over his smoothed down, rich black hair, he speaks, his voice gruff.
"Of course. The only way he could have come in was through the window-"
"You're wrong. While inside, I noticed that there was no glass to be found whatsoever. It was all outside, on the cement pavement. That means the window was broken from the inside, so that must have been the exit for our suspect." I say. I look at them, and they nod their heads in understanding. If I'm not mistaken, the male seems to have a bit of a red tint present on his cheek.
"So far that's all I've found, but I suggest you start looking for other possible routes the suspect could have used to enter, I'll figure out the rest. Can you get this to the processing labs for me? I want them scanned as soon as possible." I say. The woman nods her head, taking the hair follicles from my palm and putting them into two small, separate plastic snap-bags, placing them in her case for when they head back to the station.
"My squad should be arriving any minute. Once they get here, I'll have Investigator Kuki speak with you." I say. They nod, and I turn my back on them as I continue to wait for my seemingly very late squad. Sometimes I really hate being the mentor.
A few minutes later they arrive, and I see several different silhouettes running toward me in the distance. All carry briefcases, and wear long, beige coats. Finally. Sighing, I bring their attention toward me as they come to a slow, stopping around three paces in front of me.
"Took long enough." I say, a chastising tone prominent on my tongue. Mutsuki bows his head.
"Sorry Kirishima-san. Some members took a lot more convincing than others." He says in a meek voice, his eyes drifting slightly to the left where Saiko stands, her hair bushed and cheeks red. I shake my head.
"Anyway, I've already had a small look through of the place, and I've found two pieces of mismatching hair. They're being sent off to the labs to get tested. I also noticed that the window was broken from the inside- that's the escape route." Everyone nods their heads.
"Further more, I want you, Mutsuki, and Shirazu to investigate all the possible entries our suspect could have used. Urie, I want you to discuss the hair evidence with -" I pause, noticing that not everyone is here.
"Wait, ummm - Mutsuki?"
"Yes, Kirishima-san?"
"Where's Sasaki?" I ask, a fearsome manner present on my features. My heart rate increases. Mutsuki's eyes go wide.
"O-Oh w-we-well y-you see, Kirishima-san, I tried to g-get hold of h-him but his cell went straight to answer phone..." Mutsuki drifts off, and I immediately slap my hand to the skin of my forehead, frustration and worry engulfing me in its hold. I grunt.
"Umm, Ki-Kirishima-san?" I wave him off.
"Ughh, I'll fucking kill him!" I say, waving my hand in the air in anger - or what appears to be. A few moments of silence pass before I recollect myself, sighing heavily as I come up with a very unnecessary solution.
"Okay. Like I was saying, Urie, I want you to discuss the evidence with the police officers, and Saiko, I want you to check for more evidence. Record down anything that looks suspicious. I'm going to try and locate Sasaki."
I say. Everyone nods and I dismiss them, grunting angrily as I pull out my phone and quickly dial the number I need. The phone rings for one ring, two rings, three. I sigh, impatience taking over me as the phone continues to ring aimlessly. After about ten rings, I end the call, slamming my thumb down on the red button in frustration. Dialing the number again, I bring the phone to my ear a second time and let it ring. This time it goes straight to answer-phone. I crease my eyebrows in frustration and end the call as I shove the telecommunication device into my pocket. I turn around, heading straight for Urie.
"Urie." I say, wiggling my index finger as a notion for him to come over. He looks back at the police officers, then me, then back at the police. Mumbling something about a sorry, he heads over, stopping about two paces in front of me.
"I can't get hold of Sasaki. I'm going to go see if I can find him. I want you to be in charge while I'm gone. Understand?" I say questioningly. He nods his head.
"Right. I'm off. Don't let me down or I'll let you down," I say threateningly. He once again nods.
"into your grave." I finish. Uries eyes immediately show fear, although his poker face hides it well.
"Now carry on." I say. He turns away, walking back to the two police officers that stand clueless. I turn away also, heading in the opposite direction and down the street.
"Sasaki where are you?" I mumble under my breath as I reach the corner. Turning it, I begin my search for Sasaki.

Okay! Sorry for taking so long to update guys, things have been hectic! I love you to the moon and back, sorry if this chapter is short - I got kinda lazy :3 I promise to try and update as much as I can but for some reason lately I haven't felt like it. I know I should update more but I don't and that's not fair on you guys. Thanks so much for sticking with me and giving me over 30K reads! It means a lot to me that this many people have read something that was just thought of on a whim. Please don't forget to follow me if you haven't already (I've got more fanfics!!!) and please comment, vote, share! Your comments and votes mean so much to me it's not even funny! Alright, thanks!

~Touka