Chapter One

•Touka

I don't know how I should feel.  Kaneki and I almost kissed on saturday, yet I don't know whether or not we should have. It's been almost a week, and there's a lingering awkwardness in the air everytime we're in the same room together...

I've liked Kaneki for a long time now. But I can tell that he's already in love with someone else. Everytime I see him, he's either fidgeting or has some sort of blush resting upon those perfect cheek bones of his... 

One time, I even caught him staring into space, but he was smiling. Daydreaming, I guess.

I sigh. I continue to rub the wet glass with a towel, I too starting to stare into space.

Who is this girl that Kaneki is so in love with? Why is he the only one who sees my weaknesses? Does this girl like him back?

I find  myself thinking of what it would be like if Kaneki's feelings were mutual to mine.

After drying the first dish, I move on to another. Kaneki's shift starts in five minutes; this is going to be a long day.

• Kaneki• 

I sigh. My shift starts in five minutes. I'll  have to see Touka again.On saturday  we almost kissed, and I can still remember the sweet smell of peppermint. I can still remember the fear in her eyes as I held that bird out to her. I never knew she was afraid of birds.

I get up from the couch; time to go to work. I'll probably see Touka's flustered face again, those blushing cheeks. Whenever I see her, she seems as though she's just seen the most perfect and breathtaking thing she has ever layed eyes on. That is, a guy.

Everytime I see her like that it makes my blood boil. Who could it be that is making her feel this way? It's clear that she's in love, but with Who?

I shake my head as I pull on my apron and get ready for a long day of awkwardness.

I head down to Anteiku in silence, pondering things over in my head.  Is this person someone I know? I reach the door to the coffee shop, and twist the knob.  I hold my breath as I take a step inside. As soon as I enter, I immediately wish I hadn't.

Touka's eyes immediately glance at me, and mine to hers. I continue to stare into those orbs of blue and purple, the two colors dancing inside her pupils. Touka and I continue to stare at eachother, and I don't know whether or not she's mad or happy. 

Just as Touka is about to speak, Yoshimura walks in. He has a scowl on his face, one not of anger, but worry. What could Yoshimura be worried about now? Rize was annihilated over three months ago, so she would no longer be a threat. What could be worrying him now? Thanks to Rize's death, there has been less binge-eating in Tokyo. 

Touka breaks eye contact with me, and goes to tend to Yoshimura. She too, looks worried. So she must know what the problem is, too. 

"Has it happened?" 

Touka asks, monotone; as though she's been through this conversation a hundred times before. 

"Yes, it has. Jason has managed to kill yet another Ghoul in search of him." 

Yoshimura answers, pulling off his hat and cloak. Who is this 'him?' I try not to listen to their conversation as I walk toward the bench. I pick up a broom and start to sweep the floors. 

Touka sighs, and I turn to see a look of worry and desperation on her face. Is there a chance she could be worried about this 'him?' 

"What do we do then?"