Chapter Seventeen

•Kaneki 

Aiichiro and I make it past three more buildings before we see two more CCG agents, one of which is carrying a quinque. I store the information, remembering what street and what part of town we're in.

Aiichiro seems to have spotted them too, and I hear him speak.

"We've already seen four. It's only been five minutes."

I nod my head.

"You're right. That's not good. At this rate, we'll be seeing CCG agents at every corner. I put my and to my nose, scratching it as I do.

"D'you think the others are having as much trouble as we are?"

I shake my head.

"I don't know, although I'm hoping it's just this part of the ward and we got lucky."

I say, emphasis present on the word 'lucky'. I don't really believe that the CCG Agents are abundant here, but it's not like I'd tell Aiichiro that and scare him shitless. I couldn't do that.

"So... What do we do?"

"We keep going, but I want you to split away from my and head in that direction."

I say, pointing between two main buildings. Aiichiro nods.

"If there's really as many Doves as we think there are, then it's gonna take a long time to scout the entire section with both of us going in the same direction. Just don't get caught. Meet me back here when you the reach border line or if you can't sense or see any more Doves. Understood?"

I ask, and Aiichiro nods.

"Remember - if you get caught, put your mask on and retreat. Do not act unless I'm there. Try to stay in the shadows or on the roofs. Good luck."

I give him a small nod as he gives me a thumbs up, and I watch as his brown hair is flicked by the wind as he jumps to the next building over in the direction told. He looks back at me once more, before hopping away, a skip in his step.

As I start down my own direction, I start thinking to myself. Why are there so many doves? Is this what it's like in the 20th Ward? If so, then is Touka alright? Is Hide? Or have they both been caught, simply because of my foolishness? I sigh. I'm still hoping I can go back there, but I doubt they'd even look at me. This is what's best, right? Everything's tuned out well. Touka's presumably safe, and Hide would never tell the CCG a thing. He loves her too much. And I'm here; now the leader of the Aogiri's 4th Division Mission 007.

Yeah... Everything's going fine.

•Touka 

I clench my fists even tighter, and I feel Hide's grasp on me tighten. I feel my cheeks burn a deep shade of red, and I can't help but feel the anger inside build up once again. I've just been fooling myself; I'm not upset, or sad, or depressed. I'm angry. Angrier than I have ever been, and have every right to be.

"So he really was your brother?"

Hide says after a while, and I nod slowly. I sit up, and press my feet softly against the ground. I walk across the room, a few seconds later finding myself standing a good ten inches from the wall.

I turn my head to Hide, clenching my fists once again.

"Yeah. Do you mind?"

Hide shakes his head.

"All yours."

I hear him say rather quietly, and I turn to the wall once again. I sigh, looking the wall up and down. I notice that in one particular spot there seems to be an abundant amount of plaster layered on top of each other, probably from where Hide has punched the wall several times. I bring my fist back, and ram it straight through the wall with no hesitation. My hand stings now, but I don't care. My hand goes straight through it, breaking the couple twenty or so layers or reapplied plaster. I sigh, feeling a few tears trickle down my cheeks. I pull my hand out of the wall, anger still bubbling inside of me. I collapse to the ground, my hand now aching in pain as I slowly watch it heal, and I can't help but bundle myself up as I rest on my legs, my feet outstretched. I hear a series of shuffling, then footsteps as Hide comes and sits next to me, staring down at my hand as it finishes healing, although the blood still stays there. I just look down at my hand aimlessly; I hate him. I've finally realized it; it may have taken a month, two months even. But the truth is, I really do and utterly hate Kaneki Ken.

•Kaneki 

I stand on the edge of the borderline, on top of the last building as I look down at one of the CCG Agents whom of which continue to roam the streets. I study him closely; he seems a lot more different than the other Doves I've come across in the past hour. Almost as if he knows about every single little thing that's happening. I try to tread extra careful; I don't want to get caught, and I should be heading back soon. Aiichiro will take a few more minutes to get to the border line, so that means I'll still have some time left. My stomach grumbles.

I move away from the rooftop. I don't want my stomach of all things to give me away. After a few seconds of complete inactivity, I decide to inch my way back to the edge of the building, peeking over the corner only to find the CCG agent has disappeared. I widen my eyes; where'd he go? 

I scan all through the street, and I'm about to turn around when I feel something sharp at the back of my neck.

"What're you doing up here, kid?"

I bow my head, ignoring the man's question. Well, at least I know where the Dove went.

"I said what're you doing up'ere?"

He says, nudging me with the end of his quinque, nicking my skin a little bit as I feel blood gush out. I quickly bring my hand to the back of my head. This is too risky; I should just get out of here.

"You should answer me, kid."

He says, and I abruptly stand up, getting ready to jet. But he's one step ahead of me, and sweep-kicks my only just balanced feet out from under me, making me fall down again. My body immediately goes on the defensive, and I feel my kagune trying to expand, as well as my schlera change it's color. I immediately put my hand over my eye, trying to hide any evidence of me being a ghoul. I will my kagune to stay in, but it's no use. My kagune rips out of my back, the tentacles of red and blue surrounding themselves around me. I turn around, and come face to face with a white-haired, four-eyed man. I recognize this investigator; he shouldn't even be here. He should be back in the 20th Ward, shouldn't he?

Arima smirks at me, and I stand back. I'm about to jump off of the building and onto the next, but he gets there first.

"You're a ghoul, and there's no way I'm letting you go."

He says, and swings his quinque down on me, which he manages to pull out and wield in the short time span of several seconds. I jump out of the way, rolling onto the rooftop behind him as I stand, and almost immediately greeted by his quinque once again coming down on me, aiming for my head. I roll, dodging as I try to come to terms with his fighting skills; he seems to be leaving his abdomen open, which would be a huge advantage if I could just miraculously put a mark on him. He continues to bring his quinque on me, and I have to use my kagune to protect myself.

"You don't have your mask on, so even if you got away now it'd all be over."

He says, and I just ignore that comment. I have to get away, especially since this is my first outside mission and my first mission as a leader as well. It's obvious I'm not going to beat him, but I need to stall him long enough for me to be able to get away without him following me.

He swings his quinque harshly at me, sending shivers down the building as he misses and hits the concrete instead, leaving a large crack in the cement roofing. The people in this building must be thinking what the hell is going on.

I bring my kagune back, ready to strike and bring the long, red tentacle down on him, but miss as he runs at me, quinque at the ready. The quinque stares at me with daggers for a split second, before I feel a piercing pain spread throughout my chest, barely missing my heart. The stinging pain spreads throughout my stomach, and I feel the warmth of my blood seep into my clothes. I clutch my sides so tightly my fingers go purple. I cough up a bit of blood, closing one eye as I look up at Arima, but I only get to look at him for a moment, before I see the quinque come down on me, feel a crackling pain in my temple, and then see nothing but a black abyss, engulfing me in the unknown.

It would certainly be.... A Tragedy.