Chapter Eleven :RE

•Touka 

"So you passed it, yes?" I say, smiling a bit as I file through a stack of papers that currently sit on my living room table. Hide sits next to me, his arm slung lazily across the back of the sofa, legs apart, crotch exposed. He chuckles, his chest rising and falling as he does.
"Only just, Touka." Hide replies, bashful. I laugh a bit. I lean back and put my head on his shoulder as the almost silence wishes over us - save for the small mumbling and static coming from the nearly broken down television. I stare straight ahead.
"At least you've accomplished what you wanted to, even if it was just by the hairs on your neck." I say half- heartedly, a small sigh escaping my lips. I've missed his company.
"I guess. But hey, you'll get there someday, aye." Hide retorts playfully. He squeezes my shoulders tightly with his left arm, reassuring me that someday I will, in fact, locate and eradicate Eyepatch. I half smile.
"Thanks, Hide." I say. I turn my gaze to look at him, and noticed only now how much he's changed in the last two and a half years.
His hair has grown out a little more at the front, although the sides and rear are still cleanly shaven as always. His eyes look a lot more mature and tired, probably from lack of sleep due to homework. He looks a lot more masculine, especially around the shoulders, his face a little more reliable. I smile at the though of what he used to look like.
"...Hey, Hide?" He turns to look at me.
" What is it, Touka?"
"I don't think I ever actually said thank you for keeping my secret..." I say, shameful that I had never once thought of saying that to him. If he had told anyone, I would definitely be dead already.
"So thank you." I continue. Hide laughs.
"That's okay, Touka. Even if I hadn't promised to keep your secret, I would have." Hide says. I smile. Silence engulfs us again. I'm not really in a talkative mood today. Well, I haven't been for quite sometime - but that's beside the point. Hide gratefully takes my presence as it is, without trying to force conversation between us.
I think about all that's happened; what will happen afterward? After I am finally able to get a grasp on Kaneki, and Hide finally settles down and has a family? "So, I hear Hide speak with a joking tone in his voice, "tell me about this new man of yours." I find my eyes widening and my face going red as a beet, my hand flying up as I slap his shoulder, hard. "Ow! What was that for?" Hide says, fake tears streaming down his falsely saddened face. "Who told you about that!?" I ask accusingly. Hide shrugs before grinning widely. "Nishiki told me as I came in, said you'd been seeing some CCG agent." I glare at him, my blood boiling with anger. "That bastard, I swear I'll ki-" I feel Hide's hand on my shoulder, shoving me back down onto the sofa. I slit my eyes at him; moving my body further away from his, I begin sifting through my files that sit on the coffee table. "He's nobody. He's just a new member of my squad." I lie, feeling my cheeks get redder and hotter. "I can tell you're lying!" Hide says playfully, scooting closer to me and grabbing the files. "Now stop working, and tell me." He says. Ripping them out of my very unsuspecting hands, he throws them all behind him and onto the floor. I watch in horror as the papers become muddled. "Hide, you-"
"Tell me." He says, crossing his arms as he blocks my view of my precious papers, scattered. I groan, my eyebrows creasing in a 'Do I have to?' notion. Hide nods his head, answering my unsaid question. I grunt. "He's just some other guy I got too close to. Nothing serious happened, okay?" I look down at my lap, intertwining my fingers with one another as I reminisce. Silence. 
"...Touka," Hide starts, "What happened now?" I twiddle my thumbs in my lap, unwilling to answer. "...I obviously don't know this guy, but you seem pretty stuck on him from the way you're acting right now." I look up at him, my brows creased; is it really that obvious how much I like him? Hide searches my eyes for a second, his brown eyes glinting as his eyebrows suddenly crease, his pupils growing bigger, eyes growing wider. "Oh Touka, you didn-" 
"I did. I told him we couldn't, y'know-"
"Why?" He asks exasperatedly, shaking his head at me. I run a hand through my hair, strands of white slightly blurring my vision as my fringe falls back over my face. "Because I'm his boss?" I answer, a questioning tone in my voice. Hide nods his head in understanding. "...But that's not the real reason why you don't wanna go there, is it, Touka?" He probes, and I feel myself half-grinning, half grimacing as I hold my head in my hands. I nod my head. "Did you-" 
"No, I didn't mention Kaneki," I somewhat snap, and I notice Hide's immediate recoil; he must have sensed that Kaneki is still a sore topic. "I only met him a couple weeks ago," I continue; "but he could still tell there was something wrong, that there was a different reason why I was resisting," I comment, and Hide nods his head in response. "I mean, your being his boss is a good reason, Touka, but if he can see through it then maybe you should use this as an opportunity to get close to him," he advises, putting an arm around my shoulder. I peek at him through my fingers. He just chuckles, prying my hands away from my face. "Give it a try, Touka. It's been a long time since you let someone into your life," he continues, "maybe this is your opportunity to forget about Kaneki." I flinch at his name. Hide sighs. Silence. "...You know I'm right Touka," I groan. "Yes, you're right! But what if he just leaves, like he did?" 
"Touka, you can't trust tha-" 
"He yelled at me and walked out just the other day, how am I not meant to assume he'll just leave when he gets bored with me? Or when I get too much for him? Or-" A hand covers my mouth. "Touka," Hide's tone is now serious, "shut up."  I look at him wide-eyed. He bows his head for a second, before bringing it back up, a huge grin on his face. He chuckles loudly. "Goddamnit," he exclaims, shaking his head. "Typical." Releasing his grip on my face, he continues, "Trust me when I say this Touka, if you really like this guy, just go for it. Stop being afraid of someone who clearly cares about you." Silence. I play with my hair in a bid to ignore the awkwardness. "...We had an argument," I comment. Hide turns his head to look at me, groaning, "Touka, what did you sa-" 
"Nothing! He yelled at me, I got upset, we kissed, and then all of a sudden I'm pushing him away, he gets upset, and walks out!" I yell frustratedly; Hide's eyes widen as he bursts into laughter. I scowl. Hide notices, coughing awkwardly as he stops laughing. Another sigh. "Doesn't sound like an argument to me," he comments, and I give him a puzzled look. "I think he's just hurt that you don't return his feelings." 
"But I -" 
"do?" I feel my cheeks heat up as I realize what I was about to say. "Fuck!" I exclaim, running my hand through my hair as I lean back into the sofa. Hide laughs, leaning back with me. He nudges my shoulder, "Got you," he chides, "red-handed." I shove him. I groan once again. "You're an egg, Hide." I comment. "I don't have feelings for him." 
"What you almost just said tells me you do!" He retorts, nudging my shoulder several times with his very bony and painful elbow. I laugh, although it takes me a moment to consider if what Hide is saying might actually make sense - for once. "Shut up, Hide. I'm not afraid to gouge your eyes out!" I say mischievously, trying to steer away from the almost awkward situation. I hate talking about my love life - not that I ever had one. "Not if I can stop you!" Hide tackles me, his hands bee-lining for my sides as his fingers move frantically over my shirt, and I laugh harder as he tickles me. My stomach gets sore from all the laughing. "Hide-Stop! Ah! No, Hide, What're you- No!" I say, laughing as I continue to get irregular in breath. I squeeze my eyes shut as the tickling sensation runs through my body, and I try frantically to stop him as I try and yank his hands away from my sides. "Curse you, Hideyoshi!" I say, laughing louder and louder.
"...Nother Ghoul attack was reported at 4PM this afternoon, witnesses stating that they had seen black hair, others saying white. While the appearance and name of said ghoul is still unclear, -" We both stop laughing. I over hear the television talking about a ghoul attack that must have happened today, and turn to look at it. In a small box in the left hand side corner of the screen there is a small video recording, obviously of a ghoul attack. I sit up, pushing Hide off of me as I adjusts his body to fit the sofa, also turning his now unrequited attention to the small flickering screen in-front of us. I crease my eyebrows in concentration. "What is also unclear is the number of ghouls to have attacked, and why exactly they did it. An old corner store was interrupted and destroyed, though the owners and customers are saying that nothing has been taken. Although there are only two injured, with one in serious condition, it is said that the matter will continue to get worse if not dealt with in quick fashion. CCG Investigations are underway, although nothing has been brought to light just yet." The screen blares out it's voice as I grab the remote quickly and turn the volume up, so that now the digits rest at twenty-five. "Excuse me. We've just got some important news direct from the CCG. Although it is yet to be confirmed, it has been discovered that the behavior pattern is similar to that of a popularly known SS-Rated ghoul, although the name has been kept confidential.  The CCG claims that they are already under investigation concerning the accused, and will give us more information until further notice. They claim it is best to be cautious from this moment on, as this ghoul is relatively dangerous. It is advised to go outside with a partner or group, and to make pre-requisites for other ghouls attacks. If matters get any worse, more guidelines and restrictions will be met in order to keep the citizens of Tokyo City safe. That is all."
I look over at Hide wide-eyed as the screen switches its focus on a different story, making it clear that the news report has come to a close. Hide looks back at me, giving me that knowing look that tells me to back off. "Touka..." I leap from the couch, standing solidly on my own two feet as I run to my room, followed by a very flustered Hide. "Touka, stop! Don't even think about it, Touka!" I ignore him, grabbing my CCG uni-formative coat and head out of my bedroom, all the while Hide tugs on my cloak as I pull it on. "Touka, you idiot! You don't even know it's him!" He says. I ignore him again. "Sorry Hide! Feel free to let yourself out and lock up, will you?!" I practically sprint out of the front door of my apartment, apologizing to Hide as I run down the hall and out of the apartment building entirely.  

•Kaneki  

Touka... Where are you? Where's Anteiku? What happened while I was gone? I feel the cold, heartless touch of the concrete wall behind me as I bang my head against it once, twice, three times. I feel the sting of a cut or graze against the back of my head, and the warmth of blood. Although none of that feels real; what's happened? 
I grab my head between my hands as I pull at the almost black strands of messed hair, yanking out several chunks of the greasy stuff as I squeeze my eyes shut. 
Touka... Reveal yourself to me... It's time I saw you, right?! I clutch my head tighter. What else can I do? I feel myself slipping away, yet I hold on; I don't want to go back. Not back to that deranged state I put myself in during several years of hardship and imprisonment... I have to find her... I grin wickedly, kicking at the air as I fight my own body... Where is she? 
Give me back my body! 
No. I won't let that happen.  
I feel the tentacles of  darkness string themselves around me, binding my mind in captivity as it yanks me from my currently weak and temporary hold. 
"Fuck!" I shout into the silence, the sound of cars rushing by and bike bells ringing drowning out my curse word. 
I gave in earlier... No more! You won't ever find Touka, you hear?! I'll make sure of that-
"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up, Shut up Shut up Shut up!" I scream. I feel my eyes dilate as I pant heavily. 
"You're nothing more than a chess piece... Stay quiet! I'm the game player, you're just my pawn!" I yell. 
No I'm not, You stole this body from me... You monster! I won't ever let you get what you want, pawn or not! Touka's mine- 
This body is mine. You are my pawn and that is all there is to it. There won't be an end, Sasaki Haise... I'll find Touka, trust me I will. Your life rests on it.
Gritting my teeth, I retort back at the very annoying voice in my head. I scuff my shoes along the ground, fighting my body against the black sheep inside my head; oh wait, I'm the black sheep.
You wouldn't even dare. 
Believe me I would - I've taken and sacrificed a lot of lives before so yours should be easy. I think. 
What is wrong with you!?  You're completely deranged! 
No more than you are, Sasaki Haise. Now if you'll excuse me- 
No! It's my turn. This is my body. I'm taking it back! 
Try me...

Okay! So sorry if the last part doesn't make sense, I kinda just didn't know whether to represent KAneki as a deranged bastard or the sweet loving Kaneki , so why not choose both? (Ya know, sweet and loving on terms of Touka, deranged and assy towards Sasaki? No? Okay...) Anyway, hope you liked this chapter, it's quite long this time, especially for you guys! I'm not really proud of this chapter, but ya know - my fingers write what they write, who am I to stop them??? Anyway, this is all purely from my mind and hence the fact that my writing sucks XD 

Have a good one, 

Touka