Chapter Five

•Touka 

I sigh. School was hell today. All I heard from everyone in the class was things like where I was and what happened and was I okay. Does it fucking look like I'm okay? I quickly scamp up the stairs to the small Anteiku shop, where I see a a very bothered looking Kaneki wiping down some tables. 

"Oh, hey Touka." 

I give him a small smile, heading straight toward my apartment without a word. My shoes clack against the floorboards as I make my way down the long hall; all the curtains are closed, and no light shines through them. I finally make it to my apartment, unlocking it and setting foot inside the boxed up little space. I draw the curtains open, seeing a small bird flit past the window over the time span of a few milliseconds, and I recognize it as the little bird I was so afraid of when Kaneki brought it inside. I watch as it flies off the balcony entirely, flying toward the sun.  

I sigh, turning around and heading toward my room. I change out of my uniform, hanging it over the top of the door and changing into something else. Today, Hide said he'd introduce me to his new 'friend' and I said I'd come along. I smile at the thought of Hide bending over backward in love; it would be like seeing Kaneki drunk. 

I want to make a good first impression, so I opt for a simple black dress with spaghetti straps and skirt that reaches to the upper thighs. I pull on my green cargo jacket and my pink thigh high socks. I pull on my shoes - which are black - tying them up and heading out the door as I grab my phone and mask. You never know when you might need it. I make sure to eat something before I leave; the last thing I need is a repeat of a few days ago. I brush my teeth before leaving the apartment and locking it, shoving the keys into my pocket. 

I put my headphones in, listening to a song by one of my favorite bands - Skillet - and tuning out everything as I re-enter the public area of the Anteiku building. Kaneki now stands by the rows and rows of coffee beans, grinding some together to make a coffee for a customer I can't detect. 

Kaneki waves at me from the corner of my eye, but I just blush furiously and head down the stairs to walk to the University. Hide said to meet me at the common room on the second floor.  

•Kaneki 

Where's Touka going? And why is she wearing such nice clothes? Is she going on a date? With who? Why was she blushing? So many questions bounce around in my head as I continue to stare at the empty space that was occupied by Touka not long ago.  

I feel my hands tighten their grip around the Coffee Grinder handle as I continue to think about this guy that's got Touka all worked up. Who is this person? Am I too late? Are they already an item? Or just going on a simple date? 

I try to stop myself from asking too many questions within my head, but it's hard to to. Especially when the girl you have a crush on is crushing on someone else.  I turn to Nishiki, who is sitting at one of the tables on his coffee break. 

"Hey, Nishiki?" 

"What is it?" 

"Do you know anything about Touka seeing some guy?" 

"Sorry, no. I don't even see why anyone would want to see her anyway." 

I just scowl; that helped. Nishiki just goes back to his coffee, and I go back to grinding the beans. 

I sigh. I can't do anything as I see Touka walk down the street from the window. 

•Touka 

 I make my way up the who-knows-how-many set of stairs today, finally making it to the reception on the second floor, heading to the lady at reception.