Chapter Fourteen

•Kaneki 

 I stand on the top of the rooftop of the nearest business building, bending over as I rest my elbows on my knees, slightly over looking the scene before me. A girl walks along the path of stone, walking past shop by shop along with one of her friends. I watch her smile; her smile is so beautiful. Her ram-rod straight bangs are covering one eye, yet I can still sense and see the emotion in her pupils. Her friend smiles too, laughing at something the other girl just said. I smile; she's fine without me. 

The wind blows directly against the left side of my face, letting all of my hair blow across my forehead, tickling my skin. I wipe it back. I look down to see the two girls again, laughing and smiling, giggling, acting normal. Although I know that anything in that one girl's life is anything bu normal. 

I jump away from the rooftop I sit on, pouncing from roof to roof; I'm late. Ayato wanted me back ten minutes ago. But.. I had to see her. It's gonna be hard not seeing her for the next couple of months. Ayato says he wants the 4th Division of Aogiri Tree - the unit I'm a part of - to transfer to the 11th Ward; where Rize was before she came to the 20th Ward. I have to help the 7th Division investigate further into CCG matters, as well as steal back some of our own, just like what I'm doing here; that's as far as I know. Hopefully my joining Aogiri will do me some good. I'l become stronger. I'll be able to protect those I love, unlike the situation with Hide turned out. I couldn't protect him even I'd tried; there was no choice but for me to join them., which I see now might have been the right choice. 

I remember Jason torturing me in the chambers; asking me anything he wanted to know. I told him nothing. That's not what I came for. He'd wrench my toes off using a quinque he had made specially, break my bones and kill people I knew right before my eyes. I sigh, closing my eyes. I don't want that happening to anyone at Anteiku; it won't happen. I'll become stronger, I'll be able to protect everyone then. But until the day I can face an entire armada of Ghouls and win, I have to make my way up the ranks. That is the rule in this society. Maybe someday I'll be able to return. If things get bad, I'll come back. It's a one-hundred percent guarantee. 

 I continue to travel across rooftop by rooftop, and after about ten minutes of this I stop, landing down in an alleyway between two very close business buildings far away from the centre of Tokyo city. I make my way inside one of the entrances, closing the door quietly behind me. I look up, pulling my mask off as I do and dumping it on the table beside me. The floor is checkered, just like my torture chamber was. It doesn't really bother me anymore, I've gotten used to it. I wipe my hand over my face as I look around, searching for faces in the dim lighting. I see Ayato's unimpressed expression right in-front of me, along with the rest of the 4th Division. They're all wearing cloaks. I laugh. I'm the odd one out; as always. 

"You're twenty minutes late. What took you so long? Surely a ghoul attack doesn't take that long." 

Ayato says, speculation clear in his voice. Ignoring what he was saying, I continue on with my report. 

"CCG has more reinforcements. Doves are scattering the streets, and it's hard to get a ghoul attack in edgewise. You're lucky I came back."

I lie about the last bit; there were quite a few CCG agents, but there weren't that many. I could easily hold them off. Something I couldn't have done at the very start of all this. Shows how much I've improved. Ayato nods his head, letting his past anger go as he looks at each of us in turn. 

"Is all of the 4th Division here?" 

Ayato says. 

"Kaneki was the last one, sir."

I hear a man say. Ayato nods. 

"Okay. 4th Division, your mission is to make it to the 11th Ward regardless of conditions. I want you to - when you get there - head east until you get to a large hill; there's a shrine on-top of that, and there, a man with the initials C.J will be waiting for you. I want you to trust him. He'll accommodate you while you're there, and nobody else knows about the shrine except us and the Aogiri already within the 11th Ward. Once you're accommodated and settled. C.J will give you a brief on your first ghoul attack. You're to scour the 11th Ward. We want you to wipe out any current or former allies of Rize, and we want you to monitor the activities of the 11W CCG. We want you to attack as many Dove operations as possible, and retake as many imprisoned or tested ghouls as possible. I'm giving you a month. At the end of that month, you come straight here and report back to me. Understood?"