I Didn't Know

Drew's *POV*

"So tell me Drew, what's the major problem?" The doctor asked me.

"I'm hurling every, like, 5 minutes. And I'm really weak." I swung my feet.

"Well, it sounds as if you have peptic ulcers."

"Whata what?"

Peptic Ulcers, they're sores that develop in the lining of the srtomach, esophagus, and small intestines as a result of erosion from the stomach acids." 

"And I have..?"

"You'll need an x-ray for that. So let's head on over to the x-ray area, and get that taken care of. You're welcome to come Ama."

"It's fine." She smiled, and played with her sweater sleeves. 

After the doctor was done, he told me to sit tight, and went to tell Ama the news. I honestly don't know if it's good or bad. Never told me.

"You have..two. Gastric Ulcers and Duodenal Ulcers." 

"So ones in the lining of my stomach, and.."

"In the upper section of your small intestines." We walked back, and Ama was sitting there.

"How'd I get this?" I sat on the table again, and Ama just smiled at me, being a kid.

"Simple, you could have helicobator pylori, a bacteria that can cause a stomach infection and inflammation. Two, frequent use of aspirin, ibuprofen, and other anti-inflammatory drugs. Three, smoking, four drinking too much alcohol. Five, radiation therapy, or lastly, stomach cancer."

"Have you been smoking?" Ama asked.

"I gave that up."

"That's how you got it. When did you give it up?"

"Well, I'm 23 now, and I stopped when I was 19...so 4 years."

"It took awhile to show. That's why. You already had this. It gets worse over time. Perforation, a hole that can develop in the lining of the stomach or small intestine, and causes an infection. Signs of a perforated ulcer include sudden, severe abdominal pain. Internal bleeding, unlcers can result in significant blood loss then leads to hospitalization. Signs of a bleeding ulcer include lightheadedness, dizziness, and black stools. And lastly, scar tissue. Thick tissue that develops after an injury. This tissue makes it difficult for food to pass through you digestive tract. Signs of scarred tissue includes vomiting and weight loss."

 "How can we cure it?"

"Depends on your ulcer layer."

"And that is..?"

"The best we could use it PPL's, (proton pump inhibitors). Which reduces stomach acid."

"Anything else?" I asked. 

"Acid blockers, like zantac or peptcid. Kill pain, and reduces stomach acid."

"I'll take that.." I chuckled.

"I'll write a prescription, call it in, and you can go to your local pharmacy in an hour."

"Thanks." Ama and I got up, then got into the car.

"You didn't know. This whole time?" She tried to stay strong. But failed after sayin time. Her voice cracked.

"I never knew."

"Now you know. And now you're going to just rest. Not do anything. I don't want you to hurt yourself anymore." A few tears fell. Her driving was ok, since she was a good driver. But crying, made it harder. "The doctor told me to take ou to the hospital if it gets worse."

"How would it get worse?"

"if you had sudden or severe adominal pain, fainting, excessive sweating, confusion. Blood in vomit or stool. Or abdomen that is hard to touch."

"Babe, I'm trying my hardest not to let those things happen."

"Some things happen for the best. Some things happen because it's life." Then she parked the car in the driveway, got out, and slammed the house door. Me knowing that I just hurt her.