23: Things Are So Unpredictable

"Sophia!" I shout running into her arms, as we come back from our run.

Sophia didn't want to leave Carol, nor did Carol want to leave Sophia. So they often stayed in the prison, not together but in the same place.

"Lauren! What did you find?" She asks, as we separate from the hug.

"A hut in the woods. Me and Carl were going to go explore there today, with you. And Lizzie and Mika. Maybe Luke and Molly."

"I don't want to leave Mom." She says.

"Sophia, let's live our lives. Because we could be dead by tomorrow. Live today as it comes, no regrets." I say, and she nods her head.

"I'll go get Lizzie and Mika." She says.

"Meet me and Carl here in 10." I say, as she runs off back to the prison to fetch the others.

In the corner of my eye appears a young boy, in a sherif hat, walking towards me.

"Mr. Grimes." I say.

"Mrs. Grimes." he replies.

"Just waiting for Sophia, Lizzie and Mika. Like and Molly won't come I don't think." I say, fiddling with my gun.

A few moments pass and out of the prison run Lizzie, Sophia and Mika.

"Come on." I say.

We exit out of the back way of the prison, a way Daryl showed me when we first arrived. Everyone knew the exit, it was an emergency one, incase we ever got overrun, I mean, things are so unpredictable nowadays.

We enter the forest, all holding a gun in one hand, a knife in the other.

On the forest floor lays several dead walker bodies, one we or others may have killed trying to survive ourselves.

"Here we are." I say, showing Sophia, Mika and Lizzie the hut.

"Wow. It looks so untouched." Sophia says.

"Not after me and Lauren were finished in it." Carl says nudging me.

"Carl!" I say, softly slapping his shoulders and chuckling.

We enter the cabin, and it was old fashioned inside, yet so beautiful.

The outside world was locked away.

We all take seats on the sofa's, me, Carl and Sophia on one. Lizzie and Mika on the other.

Carl sits down, and I rest my head on his lap as I lay down, my feet over Sophia as she giggles at my awkward position.

"So.." Carl says.

"what should we do?" Lizzie asks.

"Let's tell stories!" Mika exclaims.

"Keep your voice down." Lizzie scowled at Mika.

"Leave her, she's fine." I say.

"She's my sister. Not yours." Lizzie says, spitting at me.

"And I said leave her. She's fine, alright?" I respond.

"Cause you have no siblings." She spits at me.

"You really wanna do this?!" I leap out of my seat, but Carl and Sophia pull me back.

"Calm down." Carl says, rubbing my back.
"

"Stories then. Mika, you start." Sophia says, changing the subject.