19: A place of Punishment; or a place of hope?

We all walk towards the wired fence, sectioning off the outside world from the inside of the prison.

Half of the prison was broken down, ruins, forgotten about, although the otherside was thriving with life and spirit.

As we walk further towards the fence, the grass was decorated with guts, blood, and bodies of inmates, all dressed in blue overalls.

"Who are they?" I ask, looking at the prison, noticing some new faces.

"We helped them on the road. Let me introduce you to them." Carl says.

Standing in a row, were 4 children, 3 girls, 1 boy. They were teasing the walkers, standing there, talking, groaning, calling them names.

"Nick! Hey! Nick!" One girl shouts, placing her arm closer to the walkers crunching jaw.

"What are you doing, you freak?!" Carl exclaims, grabbing her arm and pulling her away.

She spins around, and faces us, death stares all around.

"I was playing." She replies.

"With walkers." Carl sternly adds.

"So what, they are still people." She sarcastically comments, and carl rolls his eyes.

"Walkers aren't people. They kill people. They eat people. We don't name them nor play stupid games with them." Carl angrily says

"You're no fun." She says.

"Cool. But I'm the one that won't turn into one of them things, because I use this thing, called common sense Lizzie."

"What did you want?" She spits.

"To introduce you to some of our group." He says, suddenly a perky tone appears in his voice.

"Lizzie, Mika, Luke and Molly." Carl says, introducing us to each child standing at the fence.

"Hi. I'm Lauren." I say, and immediately get a death stare of Lizzie.

Mika, Luke and Molly came away with us, so we could be reunited with everyone else, but Lizzie stayed at the fence still 'playing' with 'Nick'.

"She's a nut job." I say.

"Lauren!" Carol says.

"What? I'm sorry, but she isn't the most 'normal' person we've come across."

As we get deeper into the prison, everyone was around a fire, cooking, laughing, smiling.

A sense of hope filled the atmosphere in ways I can't describe.