14: Members Gained, A Life Saved

"And, I don't mean to seem 'touchy' or anything, but what would you know about medical practices?" Carol says.

I mean, I can see where she's coming from, she's losing her daughter and you can just trust any one nowadays.

"I'm a veterinarian. Have been for 16 years. I can get the bullet residue out of the wound." Hershel says.

It was better than nothing, maybe they could be trusted.

Carol nods, and Hershel quickly, but calmly, approaches Sophia, who was wincing in pain.

"It'll be alright." he says, trying to comfort her, placing his hand on her head, feeling her temperature.

"Come this way, I don't want you too see your friend hurt." Beth says, holding my hand, and moving me away from Beth.

"Ok." I simply said, I didn't refuse. They we new, first impressions were everything nowadays, well at least they were.

Every so often, I'd hear Sophia scream at the top of her lungs, and then the odd groan of a walker, but I couldn't see any.

"How's you?" She says, the blond curls of her hair lay perfectly on her pale face.

"Okay." I reply bluntly.

"Okay."

It was silent for a while, I crunch twigs below my feet, as the crunching noise gave me a sense of comfort, I don't know why, it just did.

"Do you need a hug?" She says.

I nod.

I approach Beth, and bury my head into a shoulders, and let the tears flow. I didn't realise how much I needed to cry, or how much I wanted too, but if I'm honest, it made me feel better.

"Let it all out." She says, patting my back, and so I did.

My thoughts were what made me cry, not emotions or anything, but thoughts. What happened to the rest of the group? Are they dead? Will we be dead soon? I couldn't help but cry, but it made me feel a hell of a lot better.

"are you really okay now?" Beth says, and again I nod.

"Thank You." I say, pulling a soft smile.

"Anytime." She says, ruffling my hair.

"Your friend looks okay now." Beth says, pointing to Sophia who was laying amongst the leaves and twigs.

"Thank You again." I say, before returning to Sophia.

"Your alright." I say, and her eyes meet mine.

"Thank You." I say, leaping into Hershel's arms.

Glenn gave Sophia a piggy back whilst we ventured through the woods, but it got closer to night, and shelter still wasn't found.